When is drinking a problem?

If you're not an alcoholic but have questions about AA, here's the place to ask them. Anyone may post messages and replies in this forum.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Re: When is drinking a problem?

Post by Layne »

Discussions about recovery are always good, even if faces and participants change. It may be perfect timing for someone else who is facing the same issue. Solid advice has no expiration date.
WendyPayne
Forums Newcomer

Post by WendyPayne »

This is a huge problem if someone in the family abuses alcohol, especially if you have children.
Michael_L
Forums Newcomer

Post by Michael_L »

Noctavia wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:11 pm So herewith my question: Is there someone I can get into contact with or any regulation or guideline that is not an internet article that defines the levels of drinking from acceptable to devastating?
I drank 40 years and none of the blackouts, waking up on the floor, ...that stuff... none of that told me I was an alcoholic. I functioned. I made money. I had prestige. I mean it was killing me but I had that stuff. I wasn't an alcoholic, I just drank a lot (as in holy crap a lot). I did the test, and scored 19 out of 20 on the "Are you an alcoholic?" test, where 3 is the danger sign, but it didn't apply to me because I just drank a lot.

Now 61 days into sobriety, the idea that I can drink like a normal man, and go out and have just a couple of drinks, still floats around in my head (though I suppress it and don't go).

When he says he needs to change his life because it has become unmanageable, and he knows lacks the ability to fix it himself, that's when "evidence" might help. You've got an uphill battle because we are really, really good at lying to ourselves about this.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Michael_L wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:38 pm I just drank a lot (as in holy crap a lot).
CONGRATS ON 60 + days!

I like The Doctor's Opinion which is before Chapter 1 in the Big Book for 2 reasons:

1) For giving me the language to correctly describe my disease... "Phenomena of Craving." NO ONE ever talked about THAT at the bar. "All these, and many others, have one symptom in common: they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving."

2)And the doctor also says "These allergic types can never safely use alcohol in any form at all"

I would TELL people "I function quite well thank you very much!" I raised my kids and bought a house and they had food and shoes. So what if I never held a job for more than 5 years - everyone was doing that these days. And that old station wagon? I like it because I can work on it myself and teach my kids. I could rationalize and justify anything and everything, even waking up in a different city and not knowing where I was... But I could only lie to others. Eventually I realized, in sobriety, that I could never SAFELY drink again. I would definitely get that Phenomena and I would not stop ~ maybe I would NEVER be able to stop again. ("never" is a strong word.)

Welcome to AA - They say it's the largest organization that NO ONE ever wanted to be a part of. :wink:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB