Pie Charts - Balance

For recovery discussion
Indianapolis
Trusted Servant

Pie Charts - Balance

Post by Indianapolis »

In another thread, someone mentioned work/recovery life balance. It made me think of a cool speech I'd heard once, and I can't find the video to share unfortunately. It was by a Dr. Timothy Kelly, an Indianapolis recovery leader.

Dr. Kelly used pie charts to describe time and effort. Maybe we all have an ideal mix of our time and energy between work, family, self-care, spirituality, etc. You can draw your own ideal chart.

But then we get sick. We use. And alcohol begins to take over a huge amount of that pie chart.

As a result, all of the other slices get compressed. I know personally, alcohol had smashed the other pieces of the pie chart down considerably. It was my energy, my focus, my time. Family, work, etc, all suffered.

Then, we get sober. The pie doesn't get bigger. We have to reallocate.

At first, we should "give the same effort to recovery we gave to our disease." I agree. So recovery gets the slice that my disease had.

BUT, as we progress, we realize that family, work, spirituality, etc need to normalize also. Remember, the pie doesn't get bigger.

So what then? His point was that over time, that piece of the pie that was my disease, and is now my recovery, has to shrink some also. It has to give back some portion of the pie to work, family, self-care, spirituality, etc. It never goes away -- my ideal balance is now different than it was pre-disease. But over some reasonable period of time, I've got to let those pieces of the pie get healthy again.

That image really helped me in the first year. Just sharing here in case it helps anyone else. Be well, be happy, be sober.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Pie Charts - Balance

Post by PaigeB »

Indianapolis wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:49 am In another thread, someone mentioned work/recovery life balance. It made me think of a cool speech I'd heard once, and I can't find the video to share unfortunately. It was by a Dr. Timothy Kelly, an Indianapolis recovery leader.

It was my energy, my focus, my time. Family, work, etc, all suffered.

Then, we get sober. The pie doesn't get bigger. We have to reallocate.

At first, we should "give the same effort to recovery we gave to our disease." I agree. So recovery gets the slice that my disease had.

BUT, as we progress, we realize that family, work, spirituality, etc need to normalize also. Remember, the pie doesn't get bigger.
What a fantastic image! Thank you! Sometimes I feel like I am overflowing the pie! I have to reign it in and remember the truth: I have to reallocate.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
enaid
Forums Enthusiast

Post by enaid »

Nicely put ! And I know for a fact that alcohol completely destroyed my entire pie chart, taking over the whole thing for my entire life until old age made me give it up.
:)
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

enaid wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:35 am ... until old age made me give it up.
Sometimes my brain thinks I am still a bar brawler... but I'll hit you with my cane! =biggrin :lol: =biggrin :lol: :mrgreen:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB