Can this section be reopened?

A place for members to share their Golden Years in Alcoholics Anonymous.
enaid
Forums Enthusiast

Can this section be reopened?

Post by enaid »

I’ve just joined the site and was very disappointed to see that the posts in ‘Golden Years’ have dwindled down to drastically. I would love to be able to communicate through forums with other people my age who are ex-alocoholics or even active alcoholics.

I am also interested in any ‘higher power’ material available.
:)
Brock
Forums Old Timer

Re: Can this section be reopened?

Post by Brock »

Welcome to e-AA enaid. Yes indeed the posts in this section have dried up a lot, and in fact, overall the amount of posts to the entire forum is considerably less than it was a couple of years ago, so your presence and the posts you have already made are refreshing to us all.

The various sections seem to have lost some relevance after we put in an ‘active topics’ link in red at the top left of each page, most members just click that and read the most active topics without much concern about what section they are in. I do know that many of our members are in their ‘golden years,’ I am 72 and know quite a number here are of a similar age. I find it interesting you speak of “ex-alcoholics,” which has the making of a new topic but I personally have never heard it said like that, to me once an alcoholic always an alcoholic, but I do use the word ‘recovered’ all the time.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Hi enaid!
enaid wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:02 am I’ve just joined the site and was very disappointed to see that the posts in ‘Golden Years’ have dwindled down to drastically. I would love to be able to communicate through forums with other people my age who are ex-alocoholics or even active alcoholics.
I am also interested in any ‘higher power’ material available.
I am almost 60 & retired disabled. I try to write often - seems so much less to say with a year of isolation though! Super happy to say that things are going well with the reopening in my state and I feel free again - going to 3 meetings a week IN PERSON is my goal! Check out the daily "readings" of the 24Hours book and Daily Reflections. They could use some daily input and I know people read there... they might even write there if someone starts!

PS - I am also a "recovering Atheist" LOL
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac »

I am almost 60 & retired disabled
You should see Paige in her turbo charged nitro powered wheel chair she uses! 20 year old in spirit as she yells make a hole and make it wide!!!!!

But seriously Paige is a good egg.... =biggrin and helpful as well.

Cheers
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
enaid
Forums Enthusiast

Post by enaid »

Brock wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 am Welcome to e-AA enaid. Yes indeed the posts in this section have dried up a lot, and in fact, overall the amount of posts to the entire forum is considerably less than it was a couple of years ago, so your presence and the posts you have already made are refreshing to us all.

The various sections seem to have lost some relevance after we put in an ‘active topics’ link in red at the top left of each page, most members just click that and read the most active topics without much concern about what section they are in. I do know that many of our members are in their ‘golden years,’ I am 72 and know quite a number here are of a similar age. I find it interesting you speak of “ex-alcoholics,” which has the making of a new topic but I personally have never heard it said like that, to me once an alcoholic always an alcoholic, but I do use the word ‘recovered’ all the time.
Yes, I used my own terminology . . . ex-alcoholics . . . in order to create a distinction between those and active ones. But I do understand the correct term is ‘recovering’ because indeed there are no ex’s when it comes to alcoholism since it’s a lifetime sentence ! Anyway though, thank you for responding to my post and I hope I can join a little group of older people on the site for communicating and fellowship. :)
enaid
Forums Enthusiast

Post by enaid »

PaigeB wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 am Hi enaid! I am almost 60 & retired disabled. I try to write often - seems so much less to say with a year of isolation though! Super happy to say that things are going well with the reopening in my state and I feel free again - going to 3 meetings a week IN PERSON is my goal! Check out the daily "readings" of the 24Hours book and Daily Reflections. They could use some daily input and I know people read there... they might even write there if someone starts!

PS - I am also a "recovering Atheist" LOL
Hi Paige . . . Thanks so much for responding to my post. Wonderful that you’re able to go to your meetings. The nice thing about us of a certain age is that we have a lot of time (at least in my case) to post.

I love your term ‘recovering atheist’. I find the whole subject of atheism fascinating because there are a multitude of ways to be one and, although I’m a believer myself, I love hearing about everyone else’s attitudes. Of course your term here implies that you’re traveling towards believing - in something. I’d love to hear more.

For myself I just appreciate having someone or something to turn things over to and get them off of my mind since my mind is definitely not equipped to handle the load. :)
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

enaid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:00 am Hi Paige . . . Thanks so much for responding to my post. Wonderful that you’re able to go to your meetings. The nice thing about us of a certain age is that we have a lot of time (at least in my case) to post.

I love your term ‘recovering atheist’. I find the whole subject of atheism fascinating because there are a multitude of ways to be one and, although I’m a believer myself, I love hearing about everyone else’s attitudes. Of course your term here implies that you’re traveling towards believing - in something. I’d love to hear more.

For myself I just appreciate having someone or something to turn things over to and get them off of my mind since my mind is definitely not equipped to handle the load. :)
I am only beginning to understand that idea of "turning things over" because it is not like they STOP. LOL Of course I want them now! LOL... For some reason I don't hear a lot of people saying, "Serenity NOW!" Like I did when I sobered up a little over a decade ago... (Hummm I wonder if my ego was really ever that big!). Though my mind's eye can clearly see myself slamming my fist on the table saying it loud and clear! My sponsor now likes to say that we are ALL agnostics and I think she it surely right there... I go back and forth with Faith, but not so far to the extremes.

Also in the beginning when I was a "firm atheist" I had people tell me, "Don't change! We have a lot of people who need to know how you did it!" And I tried to hold on, I did. Around seven years sober I had a crisis... a reupping of my "Me too" stuff during the run up of the 2016 election and, well... broken and desperate (but still sober), I got a new sponsor and finally got around to some AA prayers. The sick man's prayer (pg 67 BB)("Save me from killing that SOB"), the Set aside prayer (a sponsor favorite) and the Thomas Merton Prayer (I love the Catholics). "I have no idea where I am going...." I also like the 11th Step Prayer from the 12 & 12 but I seldom get further than "Let me be a channel..." I guess that is all I am and need to be huh?

The great thing about being an atheist coming in is that I really had a blank slate. Over the years I looked into a lot of different ways to approach the god idea and I found them all lacking. But in AA I saw that you all were DOing something and I sought to find out what is was, no matter what you called it! I was encouraged to use semantics when I got my feathers ruffled over the word god or the ideas. And I was soothed by the Big Book trying a lot of different words and framings of the god idea. I could easily imagine holding onto AA like the "flimsy reed" (page 28 BB). And I discovered that Unconditional Love (page 84) could not be manipulated like a door knob. So my journey with the god idea has been an entirely NEW set of discoveries... one that truly started on page 30 of the Big Book, "We learned that we had to fully concede to our Innermost Selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery." I did not know it at the time, but this was my first "conscious contact" with my HP.

I had a story published in the Grapevine Several years ago called Ceased Fighting. It was their Atheist Edition. I don't have a copy of it handy, but you might be able to look in their archives.

Thanks for letting me share! :wink:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
enaid
Forums Enthusiast

Post by enaid »

Hi again, Paige.

No, the anxiety/anger and resultant thoughts definitely do NOT stop. Turning things over means doing it over and over again - letting go over and over again and trusting a higher power to take care of it.

Agnostics are wonderful people who are analytical and down to earth.

lol those political elections and other political detritus will get you craving a drink.

But yes, it definitely sounds like you were struggling in the beginning and doing it on your own so to speak even if you did have a sponsor. But you so beautifully set forth your personal learning curve which brought you out of the struggle for the most part.

And to me it makes sense that the farther away you are from personal struggle the closer you are to your HP. More and more I am learning that for me my HP is my highest and best self which is able to teach and guide me who lives pretty much on a lower rung of the ladder. In Christianity this higher self and guide is called “the Holy Spirit”.

I agree that we who share the same addictive experiences are all channels for each other. We mirror each other and trigger growth concepts in each other.

How great that you are experiencing 'new discoveries' - for me I'd be feeling a little jolt of joy upon having a new insight.

Maybe conceding to 'the innermost self' one's alcoholism means I've fully accepted it deep down inside and no part of me is holding back.

Oh, you are so good at sharing - thank YOU ! :D
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

=confused :oops: :shock: :P :mrgreen: