14th September Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

14th September Daily Reflection

Post by Jaywalker Steve »

PEACE OF MIND

Do we lay the matter before our sponsor or spiritual adviser, earnestly asking God's help and guidance — meanwhile resolving to do the right thing when it becomes clear, cost what it may?

— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, pp. 86-87

My belief in a Higher Power is an essential part of my work on Step Nine; forgiveness, timing, and right motives are the other ingredients. My willingness to do the Step is a growing experience that opens the door for new and honest relationships with the people I have harmed. My responsible action brings me closer to the spiritual principles of the program — love and service. Peace of mind, serenity, and a stronger faith are sure to follow.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: 14th September Daily Reflection

Post by PaigeB »

My responsible action brings me closer to the spiritual principles of the program — love and service. Peace of mind, serenity, and a stronger faith are sure to follow.
Somehow I got this message early on... maybe because Action is a sort of thing with atheists, we are not big on faith and prayer. We are more like DYI folks, LOL.

Then, quite without my permission, I began to grow a little faith in Action and in AA. I had glimpses of serenity and peace of mind... glimpses ~ fleeting. I wanted more of that so I took more Action and it worked to give me more of the rewards. Later in sobriety, I started to need Faith for things that required me with absolutely No-Action. Sitting with this was very difficult and I needed the faith that I had stored up. I needed to be content with some simple Action in AA. I made it through because I Knew that I was "safe & protected" just like the Big Book says.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB