13th September Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

13th September Daily Reflection

Post by Jaywalker Steve »

REPAIRING THE DAMAGE

Good judgment, a careful sense of timing, courage and prudence – these are the qualities we shall need when we take Step Nine.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 83

To make amends can be viewed two ways: first, that of repairing damage, for if I have damaged my neighbor's fence, I "make a mend," and that is a direct amend; the second way is by modifying my behavior, for if my actions have harmed someone, I make a daily effort to cause no further harm. I "mend my ways," and that is an indirect amend. Which is the best approach? The only right approach, provided that I am causing no further harm in so doing, is to do both. If harm is done, then I simply "mend my ways." To take action in this manner assures me of making honest amends.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc
Last edited by Jaywalker Steve on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Please delete duplicate post. Thank you.

Please delete duplicate post. Thank you.
Last edited by Jaywalker Steve on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Re: 13th September Daily Reflection

I love the simple explanation of direct/indirect amends.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Check this out! By Happy Accident or Higher Intention... Page 83 of the 12&12 as well as page 83 of the Big Book!!!
We should be sensible, tactful, considerate and humble without being servile or scraping.
I love it!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

PaigeB wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:18 am Check this out! By Happy Accident or Higher Intention... Page 83 of the 12&12 as well as page 83 of the Big Book!!!
We should be sensible, tactful, considerate and humble without being servile or scraping.
I love it!
I get it and I love it too, but it sure is fleeting when it does occur. I am an alcoholic...I want it now and I want more!!!. Sigh, reminder to self...progress not perfection.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Good judgment, a careful sense of timing, courage and prudence
sensible, tactful, considerate and humble without being servile or scraping
Layne wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:01 am
I get it and I love it too, but it sure is fleeting when it does occur. I am an alcoholic...I want it now and I want more!!!. Sigh, reminder to self...progress not perfection.
Yeah - thinking that I will have ALL those qualities makes me think I might burst into flames at any moment! I like to remember that this is all about progress and that a little bit of any of these principles is progress!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Layne wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:01 am
OOOHHHH! Look at the follow up in the next reading... Sept. 14

"My responsible action brings me closer to the spiritual principles of the program — love and service. Peace of mind, serenity, and a stronger faith are sure to follow."
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

PaigeB wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:32 am are sure to follow."
When I am responsible...and follow...I am led to where I need to be. My troubles start when I lead. :wink: