12th September Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Forums Old Timer

12th September Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

I AM RESPONSIBLE

For the readiness to take the full consequences of our past acts, and to take responsibility for the well-being of others at the same time, is the very spirit of Step Nine.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 87

In recovery, and through the help of Alcoholics Anonymous, I learn that the very thing I fear is my freedom. It comes from my tendency to recoil from taking responsibility for anything: I deny, I ignore, I blame, I avoid. Then one day, I look, I admit, I accept. The freedom, the healing and the recovery I experience is in the looking, admitting and accepting. I learn to say, "Yes, I am responsible." When I can speak those words with honesty and sincerity, then I am free.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Re: 12th September Daily Reflection

Post by Layne »

When I take full responsibility for my life, it doesn’t mean that I engage in self-blame. In actuality, it is the polar opposite. By letting go of blame, not just self-blame but blame of others as well, I become more compassionate.

When that happens, I can shift my energy toward finding solutions instead of focusing on problems. Looking for someone to stand in the corner with their nose against the wall is counterproductive.

Acknowledging, then accepting, followed by addressing my faults naturally lends to learning, which in turn nurtures personal growth.

Everyone has flaws or imperfections; and everyone makes mistakes. But for me, the path to freedom is found by taking personal responsibility and accountability for my actions.

(disclaimer): I don't have to like taking responsibility...but when I do...I find that in long run...I like it. Go figure!