11th September Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Forums Old Timer

11th September Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

MAKING AMENDS

Above all, we should try to be absolutely sure that we are not delaying because we are afraid.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 87

To have courage, to be unafraid, are gifts of my recovery. They empower me to ask for help and to go forth in making my amends with a sense of dignity and humility. Making amends may require a certain amount of honesty that I feel I lack, yet with the help of God and the wisdom of others, I can reach within and find the strength to act. My amends may be accepted, or they may not, but after they are completed I can walk with a sense of freedom and know that, for today, I am responsible.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Re: 11th September Daily Reflection

Post by Layne »

My amends may be accepted, or they may not, but after they are completed I can walk with a sense of freedom and know that, for today, I am responsible.
This proved true for me in the past and still proves true for me today. Some amends are accepted. Some are not. But the lighter feeling and freedom of having done my part is guaranteed and well worth any fear or doubt that I might face going in.

Being responsible is no longer fearful. Instead, It is freeing. What a concept!
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: 11th September Daily Reflection

Post by PaigeB »

My 1st and 2nd amends were not well received by my mom. Big difference? After my first I freaked out and called my sponsor on the drive home. I KNEW that I would have to do it again and maybe even repair some damage done by the 1st amends! Turns out the latter was not necessary. However, I was certainly more armed with the facts about myself the 2nd time. As I drove away, I did a little 10th Step and realized that I had done all that I could do and I felt Peace.

A couple short years later, she has moved to my city to live out her remaining years. Nothing matters more to either of us than for our relationship to be one of joy and friendliness. I find myself quite busy but, by Grace, I find myself joyfully repeating myself and helping in small ways and large without any animosity at all.

Making amends Works if you Work it. How it is received is immaterial.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB