How to deal with Thanksgiving and all the alcohol

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.
Conan
Forums Enthusiast

Re: How to deal with Thanksgiving and all the alcohol

Post by Conan »

We face difficult tests from time to time ...
It 's golden times to contact the sponsor or read the immortal stories
My soul ... do not see Do not hear Do not speak ... Taste things only ... likes or dislikes ...
Aggiejim
Forums Enthusiast

Re: How to deal with Thanksgiving and all the alcohol

Post by Aggiejim »

Think about this. If you had a sever allergy to peanuts, shellfish, strawberries, etc. or if your religious views prevented you from eating certain foods you wouldn't give it one moments thought to passing on them at dinner. However, with booze you feel you need to give everyone an explanation as to why you're not drinking. I've been there. My first year in sobriety I was at a Cowboys game in Texas Stadium and I was convinced several thousand people were talking about that idiot in the end zone who's not drinking. More self conscious than I was a few years earlier when the Irving police hauled my drunk butt to jail for public intoxication.

I came in to AA in February and all I could talk about was how to I go to the San Antonio Fiesta and not drink. I beat that to death in meetings until an old timer interrupted me and said. "why do you just not go?"