What's the point of meetings?

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.
MyNameIsBetsy
Trusted Servant

Re: What's the point of meetings?

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

e-AA is like the island of misfit toys, an Internet island for misfit AAs whose ideas don't mesh with mainstream AA!
Please don't lump all of us into the same category. Upon occasion, some AAers here demonstrate their enjoyment of tormenting the rest of us with these ad nauseam debates. The rest of us are quite normal. :lol:

Perhaps we can put an end to these debates and get back to focusing on how to help the still struggling alcoholic.

Betsy, an alcoholic
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

I suddenly get it, e-AA is like the island of misfit toys, an Internet island for misfit AAs whose ideas don't mesh with mainstream AA! =biggrin

I apologize for disturbing your island of tranquility with offensive mainstream ideas.
Interesting and glad you were able to sleep well after this last post.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
Still_Sober
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Still_Sober »

MyNameIsBetsy wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:11 pm
e-AA is like the island of misfit toys, an Internet island for misfit AAs whose ideas don't mesh with mainstream AA!
Please don't lump all of us into the same category. Upon occasion, some AAers here demonstrate their enjoyment of tormenting the rest of us with these ad nauseam debates. The rest of us are quite normal. :lol:

Perhaps we can put an end to these debates and get back to focusing on how to help the still struggling alcoholic.

Betsy, an alcoholic
I agree with you that here I am a misfit. And of course all the regulars here are considered normal. This seems to contradict your private message welcoming me and what you saw as a positive characteristic turned out to be a negative:
Welcome
Sent: Thu May 27, 2021 8:39 pm
Recipient: Still_Sober

Welcome to e-AA. I can tell from your posts today that you have been around the rooms for a while, and have some quality sobriety. Welcome to our online AA group!!

Betsy
You'd think that recognizing the problem and not feeding it would make people happy, but it apparently it doesn't. I guess misfits are inherently unhappy even in their own element (just like active alcoholics). May you find happiness in your life.

I have one of those disgusting meetings to get to. Ta ta!

Still Sober
Mainstream AA
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

We normally lock threads around the end of the 5th page. I think we could wrap this up soon and lock it.
https://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23995 Group Conscious Forum Guidelines.

Blessed be to all of you who contributed here. We can agree to disagree on many matters in life. I think we all agree that working the Steps of the AA program is the way to long term sobriety.

Gonna give this 24/36 hours - then I think a Moderator can lock it. I am out of town tomorrow and will be AFK most of the day.

Peace. 8)
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Still_Sober
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Still_Sober »

PaigeB wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 am We normally lock threads around the end of the 5th page. I think we could wrap this up soon and lock it.
https://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23995 Group Conscious Forum Guidelines.

Blessed be to all of you who contributed here. We can agree to disagree on many matters in life. I think we all agree that working the Steps of the AA program is the way to long term sobriety.

Gonna give this 24/36 hours - then I think a Moderator can lock it. I am out of town tomorrow and will be AFK most of the day.

Peace. 8)
If all it took were the steps, we could hand out the wallet cards with the 12 steps on them and call it a day, says this misfit.

Still Sober
AA Mainstream Misfit
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Still_Sober wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am
If all it took were the steps, we could hand out the wallet cards with the 12 steps on them and call it a day, says this misfit.

Still Sober
AA Mainstream Misfit
Quite correct Still Sober! I can tell you how I did it - my story, in part, is in the E-aa Story section and printed in the Grapevine October 2016 Atheist & Agnostic Members issue ~ but it is quite long to re-tell. I went to lots of meetings, got a sponsor, worked the Steps, got a Home Group, threw myself into service work, gave lots of rides to meetings and AA functions... I might forget something.... but at around 3 months I became willing to be willing.

I still work on my selfish self-centered Self. I have found an HP that I can do business with and continue with service work, rides and sponsoring others. I continue to come here almost daily, even after all these years! I try to help out as much as possible.

So sure I missed listing something.... What did you do??? - you know... the short 2 paragraph story? AA EXPERIENCE, not our expertise, is what I learned to love. I paid many experts and came to resent them for failing to help me. Laughing but serious. Just last night at a meeting I talked about that "expert in alcoholism" therapist who I went to for a couple of months. One day I handed over my co-pay and never went back. I am not here to talk about my Mom's problems. :lol: :lol:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
DaveP1951
Forums Contributor

Post by DaveP1951 »

I think locking it would be a great idea. Thank you Paige.
Still_Sober
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Still_Sober »

PaigeB wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:07 am
Still_Sober wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am

Still Sober
AA Mainstream Misfit
Quite correct Still Sober! I can tell you how I did it - my story, in part, is in the E-aa Story section and printed in the Grapevine October 2016 Atheist & Agnostic Members issue ~ but it is quite long to re-tell. I went to lots of meetings, got a sponsor, worked the Steps, got a Home Group, threw myself into service work, gave lots of rides to meetings and AA functions... I might forget something.... but at around 3 months I became willing to be willing.

I still work on my selfish self-centered Self. I have found an HP that I can do business with and continue with service work, rides and sponsoring others. I continue to come here almost daily, even after all these years! I try to help out as much as possible.

So sure I missed listing something.... What did you do??? - you know... the short 2 paragraph story? AA EXPERIENCE, not our expertise, is what I learned to love. I paid many experts and came to resent them for failing to help me. Laughing but serious. Just last night at a meeting I talked about that "expert in alcoholism" therapist who I went to for a couple of months. One day I handed over my co-pay and never went back. I am not here to talk about my Mom's problems. :lol: :lol:
I like it! You tell a harmful lie, offer your mea culpa when confronted with it, and then point a finger at the one who confronted you. A skilled politician you are! But a bad AAer in a program of humility and rigorous honesty!

Mea culpa, mainstream AA concepts don't fly here!

Still Sober
AA Mainstream Misfit
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Hummm. OK.