Tips for Sober life

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Re: Tips for Sober life

Post by positrac » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:22 pm

Stepchild wrote:
I was good with meetings and sobriety, it was the steps and the inner work I didn't like.
I don't think there are many of us that did like it. Bill W. talks about this in Bill's Story...

Trembling, I stepped from the hospital a broken man. Fear sobered me for a bit. Then came the insidious insanity of that first drink, and on Armistice Day 1934, I was off again.
Page 8

It's not an uncommon thing.
I wanted to quit the drinking obsession and hope the defects just disappeared..... So once I got into feeling better I was able to grow with inner work via steps and practicing what I was learning from others in the rooms who had what I wanted.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Alexendra Berehnova
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Alexendra Berehnova » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:38 am

Hey Julie, I got your situation and hope that either you have completed your treatment or doing some good in your life. Before moving forward, I would say sorry to comment on very old thread, but such cases happens to many in our surrounding also and therefore maybe this conversation will be useful to our future friends. I want to say only one thing never feel embarrassed to restart something good in life anytime.

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ebear » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:04 am

I was forced to drink
Like positrac, I zoomed in on that sentence. Sharing experience, strength, and hope, positric gave you some tough love with one goal: to get you on safe ground. No one forces us to drink, no circumstance does, no terrible or great day does. It's a choice we make before we take the first drink and then, well, you know--all choice is gone.

Please note how many people with strong sobriety have provided you with lines of love and support, and a message that repeats and resounds is that you need to take action for yourself. Go back if that's the right thing for you, and dump the shame about the doctors. They deal with repeat visitors all the time and know that nobody gets cured there. They can only hope you transition from the detox and rehab to a program like AA on the outside.

Before you pick up again, remember that it's you raising the glass to your lips. No one else. If YOU are serious about enjoying a sober life, get to meetings, work with a sponsor, and take the steps to a wonderful life. We're rooting for you!
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.

Tonyc
Forums Newcomer

Post by Tonyc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Do what you feel will work best for you. Don't worry about what others think. People repeat treatment all the time. It's not easy to quit.

The thing I worry about IF I ever went to a treatment center is when I got out. When your in you know you will be sober. There is no option. BUT when you get out you are suddenly faced with a new life.

I'm only 21 days in. Started going to meetings got through detox on my own. It has defiantly made me stronger. I have really been working on my mind and what I think about. Some days alcohol does not cross my mind. This amazes me because 23 days ago it was my entire focus. Support from the group friends wife and family go along way.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:11 am

Tonyc wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:11 pm
Do what you feel will work best for you. Don't worry about what others think. People repeat treatment all the time. It's not easy to quit.

The thing I worry about IF I ever went to a treatment center is when I got out. When your in you know you will be sober. There is no option. BUT when you get out you are suddenly faced with a new life.

I'm only 21 days in. Started going to meetings got through detox on my own. It has defiantly made me stronger. I have really been working on my mind and what I think about. Some days alcohol does not cross my mind. This amazes me because 23 days ago it was my entire focus. Support from the group friends wife and family go along way.
Congrats on 21 days! It is not time to graduate, but it is a milestone! Thanks for checking in and letting us know you are hanging in. 8) 8)
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65