Need some help with Teaching a class.

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

Need some help with Teaching a class.

Postby Sleek104 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:24 pm

I am currently at a rehabilitation center. and getting near the end of my program there and i am having to start teaching classes, just wanted to get some outside opinions on some classes that some other people might think would be beneficial for the new comer, Thanks!
Sleek104
Forums Newcomer

Re: Need some help with Teaching a class.

Postby kenyal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:13 pm

For new people in the setting you describe it's probably best to make it impersonal to them, to keep their defenses down.

Perhaps an hour on "Ancient Alcoholics"...you could describe how alcoholics struggled and suffered thousands of years ago and let them make the connections from their own experience with the drinking life, without needing to draw the lines for them.

That would be entirely non-confrontational, and very effective in informing them of this condition, as it has been the same for us throughout recorded history.
kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Wet brains, insane asylums of the 1900's and skid row bums drinking out of paper bags...

Drive home the desperation and hopelessness for the alcoholic's chances before Bill W. and Dr. Bob met.

"...Pitiful, incomprehensible demoralization..."
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Selead » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:58 am

What kind of topic/subject you should be teach?
Selead
Forums Newcomer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:13 am

There are some great ideas in the Spiritual Experience appendix. The essentials of recovery would make for a relevant topic.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:35 am

Speakers from Alcoholics Anonymous. We share our experience, strength and hope, we do not teach, per se.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to Suggestions