New forum for AA webmasters?

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

Re: New forum for AA webmasters?

Postby Dean C » Fri Nov 03, 2000 8:34 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me.
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby Carrie Anne » Fri Nov 09, 2001 4:24 pm

Did I hear "help" and "free training"???<BR>PLEASE, Please, please! Thanks everybody!
Carrie Anne
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Marc L » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 am

Sorry Carrie;
You skimped on your homework, flunked and dropped out.
So no Prom and that stuff is on you. :D
Summer School is one of them things AA don't do.

This site does/did have a webteam mail list, though, but it didn't work very well.
I think the listkeeper was either drunk or incompetent or drunk and incompetent. :lol:

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:28 pm

This site has a webteam and it works just fine. After all, everyone here is able to be here.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby woof » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:51 am

I recently attended the 2013 Northeast Regional AA Service Assembly (NERAASA) in Lancaster PA. There were two breakout sessions on web sites. ~26 people attended the web site sessions, most were web masters (web servants) or involved in web sites for AA areas, districts, intergroups/service committees, or local groups who wanted to share their experience vis-a-vis AA and web sites.

It became clear that we AA web servants have common problems and individual solutions, partly because we are isolated and the hand of AA (as an organization) does not extend into cyberspace. The problem of platform software (wordpress, joomla, asp.net), AA meeting data (and GSO/Registrars, GPS smartphones, printed meeting lists), and the difficulty of "service rotation" for web site developers were topics we discussed at length.

Most of us at the NERAASA web site sessions opted to share email addresses and now have an email distribution list and a "web servants" forum that is just getting started, as was suggested here 13 years ago, so I guess the promises do come true... "sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but they will always materialize if we work for them." [Reprinted with permission of A.A. World Services, Inc.]

Fred F
Area 30, District 26
woof
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:05 am

Well let me tell you this AA webmaster forum is !!!!! so exciting I can't believe it. Thanks Fred for giving me the link.

we are isolated and the hand of AA (as an organization) does not extend into cyberspace. The problem of platform software (wordpress, joomla, asp.net), AA meeting data (and GSO/Registrars, GPS smartphones, printed meeting lists), and the difficulty of "service rotation" for web site developers

Same issues we have been dealing with in online AA for so so long . . . OIAA has a unity committee and I have just been motivated by Fred's contact to join the online assembly as a peanut and get access to the committee reports to see what is happening there. OIAA has offered a hospitality suite at the Internationals but those have mainly been about showing AAers the value of meetings online. The service stuff behind providing these meetings is something we have been working on individually I think, mostly because the techies drawn to online AA have their own ideas.

Well this is really cool and I intend to make a note of this contact in the next monthly report to the e-AA business meeting :-)

ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Squawking Hawk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 am

I look forward to reading whatever you share on this in your next monthly report. Good for you Ann for your willingness to explore OIAA service. Hawk

Well let me tell you this AA webmaster forum is !!!!! so exciting I can't believe it. Thanks Fred for giving me the link.

we are isolated and the hand of AA (as an organization) does not extend into cyberspace. The problem of platform software (wordpress, joomla, asp.net), AA meeting data (and GSO/Registrars, GPS smartphones, printed meeting lists), and the difficulty of "service rotation" for web site developers

Same issues we have been dealing with in online AA for so so long . . . OIAA has a unity committee and I have just been motivated by Fred's contact to join the online assembly as a peanut and get access to the committee reports to see what is happening there. OIAA has offered a hospitality suite at the Internationals but those have mainly been about showing AAers the value of meetings online. The service stuff behind providing these meetings is something we have been working on individually I think, mostly because the techies drawn to online AA have their own ideas.

Well this is really cool and I intend to make a note of this contact in the next monthly report to the e-AA business meeting :-)

ann
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 am

Ann can you PM me the link?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Marc L » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Blue Moon wrote:This site has a webteam and it works just fine. After all, everyone here is able to be here.

If at first you don't succeed then try again. :D
Maybe I'll give the WebTeam list another try and see what happens.

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby ljohn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:04 am

I agree -- in fact this is what brought me to register just now on this forum.
ljohn
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:20 am

hey there ljohn, did you pm woof (Fred) for the info?

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby woof » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:29 am

I was purging the inbox of info at aagroupsite and stumbled on a "you have a private message" email from this forum which I've totally forgotten. I guess you guys are still here :?

In any case, I went to the 2014 Northeast Regional AA Service Assembly (NERAASA) and attended the "Web Site" roundtable sessions, which were combined with the "AA Newsletters"special interest group. Attendance was low and the discussion was overly moderated (IMO) resulting in very little of substance being discussed, which may have been intentional.

I remain committed to seeing AA as a whole take itself into cyberspace but I have accepted what is. I am still involved in service at the district/area level and continue to do various web development, but when I visit the (outsourced) AA.org website and enjoy it's glory and sophistication I try not to think about AA principles and traditions and where the $ came from.

Will plan to be at NERAASA 2015 (already booked a room) and also 2016 since its nearby, my hopes and expectations can only go up after this years' forum.

peace
Fred F
Area 30 District 26 (and now District 24)
woof
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Fred! Great to see you and thanks for that report. Interesting about that "overly moderated" comment. I was participating in a google marketing survey and was asked my impression of the google help forums, and I answered "Corporate Overlord". It's so off-putting and anti productive don't ya think, keeping the lid on discussion? And discussion often includes expression, which is so easily written off as unimportant.

Oh well just rambling. I for one think that AA has a big presence online, but then that's how I do my AA so I am probably very biased.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:23 am

PaigeB wrote:Ann can you PM me the link?

If she did, would you please pass it along to me? I have looked at the NERAASA site but could not find it there.

woof wrote:...we AA web servants have common problems and individual solutions...platform software (wordpress, joomla, asp.net)...the difficulty of "service rotation" for web site developers...

Most of us at the NERAASA web site sessions opted to share email addresses and now have an email distribution list and a "web servants" forum...

Definitely interested! Our long-standing face-to-face group is now "online only" because our members ended up in three different states, and our next challenge is that of having more than one "web servant" to ultimately keep things working.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Suggestions