A.A.’s BB and 12&12 Now Available in eBook Format

Other Resources and Places within the E-AA Group and within AA.org

A.A.’s BB and 12&12 Now Available in eBook Format

Postby jakpar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:25 am

A.A.’s Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous, and Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Now Available in eBook Format

December 9, 2011 (NEW YORK) – Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc. (A.A.W.S.) is pleased to announce that our two central texts describing the A.A. program of action for recovery from alcoholism are now available in eBook format in English, French, and Spanish.

Publication in this digital media format will give broader distribution and access to A.A.’s basic textbook, Alcoholics Anonymous, known popularly as the Big Book, which has helped millions of men and women throughout the world, and in all walks of life, find a new and satisfying way of life without alcohol.

The current, official publisher’s version of the Big Book (Fourth Edition), along with Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, can be purchased for $6 each from the A.A.W.S. Online Store for access on iPhones and iPads. The A.A. eReader App can be downloaded for free from the Apple App store. In the near future, the books will also be available for the various Android platforms.

“We are thrilled at the prospect of reaching an even wider audience to offer A.A.’s message of hope to the still-suffering alcoholic who may not have had access to our basic literature,” said Ward Ewing, nonalcoholic trustee and Chairperson of the General Service Board of A.A. “In addition, this eBook format will enhance the way members can read their favorite A.A. texts.”

A.A. members, many of whom read, re-read, and quote from the literature at A.A. meetings as part of their recovery, will be able to search for specific passages quickly and highlight key words and sentences in the highly portable format.

Also, because the font size and type can be changed, these eBooks will be more universally accessible to those members needing larger print.

Alcoholics Anonymous was first published in 1939, when the “Fellowship” of A.A. was four years old and had a membership of about one hundred. It was written by co-founder Bill W., with each chapter being thoroughly edited and vetted by early A.A. members in Akron, Ohio, and New York City.

The second edition of Alcoholics Anonymous appeared in 1955, when A.A. membership had grown to about 146,000 in 50 countries. Two further editions followed, in 1976 and 2001.

In 1975, the Big Book sold its one-millionth copy in the English language. That copy was presented to then President Richard Nixon. In 2005, the twenty-five-millionth copy was presented to the Warden of San Quentin Prison, where the first A.A. prison group was held. In 2010, the thirty-millionth copy was presented to the American Medical Association, which declared alcoholism an illness in 1956.

First published in April 1953, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions was written by Bill W., with the benefit of hindsight and experience, to offer an explicit view of the principles by which A.A. members recover and by which their Fellowship functions.

Today, more than one million copies of the Big Book are distributed every year in the English language alone (it is translated into 64 languages), and A.A. membership has grown to approximately two million with a presence in more than 180 countries.

To download the free A.A. eReader App, go to the Apple App Store. To purchase these two A.A. copyrighted eBooks, go to the A.A.W.S. Online Store at
http://www.aa.org.

For general information about Alcoholics Anonymous, visit http://www.aa.org, and for those seeking help for a drinking problem please look for A.A. in your local community at the following link:
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/central_offic ... igpage=373.

For Media, contact: Public Information Desk at the General Service Office of Alcoholics Anonymous at 212-870-3119 or publicinfo@aa.org.

Jack

"We are of service by accepting responsibility for the authority God has given us and by respecting the authority God has given to others"
Anonymous
jakpar
Forums Contributor

Re: A.A.’s BB and 12&12 Now Available in eBook Format

Postby leejosepho » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:47 am

... for $6 each from the A.A.W.S. Online Store ...

The last I knew from several years ago, AAWS is supposed to be selling our literature "at cost" (including overhead expenses, of course). I do not know the current price for hard copies of these two books, but $6 for an electronic copy of either seems quite high.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:55 am

Last I heard, groups were not supporting the activities of General Services, so either the trustees or the General Conference or both are using literature sales to fund AA's outreach.

Anybody know the current info? Anybody interested in investigating?

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 am

ann2 wrote:Last I heard, groups were not supporting the activities of General Services, so either the trustees or the General Conference or both are using literature sales to fund AA's outreach.

That sounds probable, and I long ago gave up trying to remind GSO/AAWS they are not there to do "outreach" (promotion)!

We are an organism that grows from the group level, not an organization being grown by a corporation (AAWS).
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby mmdgsr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:27 am

So has anyone found any information for this?

I too am posing the question, "Why do ebooks cost $6?" Does this follow the traditions? Ect...

Humble Servant.
mmdgsr
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 am

Hi, welcome!

There's lots of information about this. I suggest you go to the source -- call AA world services in New York.

When AA groups all start contributing, I betchya the trustees will change the price of the literature. We *are* really dedicated to corporate poverty.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Marc L » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:16 pm

An additional revenue stream for AAWS. Seems like a tough sell, though, since the BigBook and 12&12 are readily available for free in pdf format.

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:18 am

I was just reading the basic argument for continuing to use the literature as a source of revenue in Bill W.'s article "Let's make practical and Spiritual Sense" published Aug 1958, available as a download from the silkworth site. The topic is again taken up in October 1994 by Gary A. Glynn, Class A (nonalcoholic) trustee in a general sharing session of the Board, and that talk was published in the Grapevine in March 1997 with the title "Corporate Poverty" and is also available for download.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:07 am

... "Let's make practical and Spiritual Sense" ... "Corporate Poverty" ...

I have just read both of those articles, and neither brings me out of my own overall ignorance of the fine workings of GSO and AAWS ... and along with that, I have never been any kind of great financial manager anyway!

As best I might understand things, the real-life folks just like us there at GSO are doing their very best to assure that any and every A.A. group never has to be distracted from what we do in our groups while trying to help still others like ourselves. And in my own experience over the years, the folks there have *always* been Johnny-on-the-spot -- "Someone ready and available at the time needed" -- whenever I have had a question to ask or a challenge of any kind to be resolved. So whether they have computers far better than mine or could actually make good use of some older ones I have sitting aside, the fact remains that my home group has never had to print a truckload of pamphlets or answer questions from other groups and their own members 1500 miles away.

For myself, AAWS often seems quite distant from any immediate need either I or my home group might have, but then I also recall our group having been sent a full case of Big Books free-of-charge right after our book's Fourth Edition came out ... and we had not even asked for any just yet.

Does AAWS have a plush office complex in a high-rent district somewhere while simply scheduling drop-ships of truckloads of books around the world, or is it really little more than a couple of packaging desks in a dimly-lit corner of a warehouse somewhere? I have no idea. But whatever it is, not a single one of us has ever found "no longer in print" on a tattered card on an empty shelf anywhere while quickly looking for a copy of our Basic Text to offer to the next guy or gal to come along.
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:24 am

Isn't it ironic. The amount of money we spent on booze before coming into AA is negligible when compared to the cost of the Big Book. Clarence Snyder has figure, an average alcoholic spends on an average about 1/4 million before entering the fellowship. This is similar to people so concerned about anonymity the moment we enter the fellowship. We make an ass of ourselves when drank but the moment we enter the fellowship, we don't want the neighbors to know that we are in AA. Something to ponder.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to Other Places within the E-AA Group