You just gotta laugh...

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!
Lucky
Forums Enthusiast

You just gotta laugh...

Post by Lucky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:48 am

So since we aren`t a glum lot is it ok to find humor in pure stupidity? Apparantly no one was injured and maybe this is the man`s 'rock bottom' and some good will come from it for him :mrgreen:

link removed in accordance with board policy

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: You just gotta laugh...

Post by PaigeB » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Links are not allowed, but it great if you re-tell the story!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Yeah, now you've got me curious!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Post by Karl R » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:29 pm

What the heck... Here's the story...

NBCNewYork(dot)com

A man wearing a T-shirt reading "I'm A Drunk" crashed into a police car early Thursday on Long Island and is being charged with driving while intoxicated, police said.

**** ****, of ****, N.Y., was driving a 2000 Saturn on County Road 83 at about 1:45 a.m. when he hit the patrol car.

The entire message on his T-shirt reads "I'm Not An Alcoholic, I'm A Drunk. Alcoholics Go to Meetings."

The officer, who is assigned to the Suffolk County Police Department's alcohol fatality enforcement team, was treated for minor injuries.

*****, 22, was not hurt.

He was set to be arraigned later Thursday. It was not immediately clear whether he had a lawyer.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:31 pm

hahahahahaah

Bet he gets to go to some meetings now!!! LMAO
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Lucky
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Lucky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Sorry about that....didn`t know about the link policy. Guess I should read up on the site rules soon :oops:

And I don`t like to make fun of people and never would if it involved a serious injury but I do feel there should be humor involved in recovery and sometimes we NEED to laugh ourselves or sometimes others.....especially if the embarrassing story doesn`t involve us :D

Humor has always kept me going. I know not everyone is as funny as they think while drinking but I could come up with some stuff when buzzed! Laughter is great medicine and I hope to hang on to my sense of humor even in these first difficult days!

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:53 am

My wife and I are both recovered alcoholics, and we occasionally watch "World's Dummest Drivers" or whatever where videos are shown of intoxicated drivers being stopped. There are certainly times when we laugh at ourselves after being reminded of something we see there, but we certainly never laugh *at* anyone. Like you have suggested, it is just never okay to make fun of others and have a laugh at their expense.
Lucky wrote:I know not everyone is as funny as they think while drinking but I could come up with some stuff when buzzed!
Same here, and other people often laughed along if they were at least as drunk as I was!
Lucky wrote:Laughter is great medicine and I hope to hang on to my sense of humor even in these first difficult days!
"... we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we burst into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others." ("A.A.", the book, page 153)
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Frankie
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Frankie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:37 am

LOL A drunk, but not an alcoholic. :) Sounds like how I used to think. "I might drink too much, but I don't have a problem. I can stop when ever I want too."

I'm with Paige... Looks like he may be going to some meetings now. :wink: I also wonder if he'll wear that shirt again. :D

happycamper
Forums Long Timer

Post by happycamper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:07 pm

I can distinctively remember sitting at the bar , drinking, and hearing about someone, anyone getting in trouble with the law for drinking and driving, or maybe drunk and disorderly, or getting into a bar room brawl, or fight with family ... or anything to do with being drunk. And Id think to myself what an idiot they were! Geez, whats a matter with them???

Today, my thoughts and feelings are much different and are in more line with 'There but for the Grace of God go I'.

I do really like the tv series "Cops", and I will get a good laugh going watching that show. And I often find myself talking to the tv trying to tell the person in trouble what to do, lolol.
Faith without works is dead

Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Post by Karl R » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:17 pm

And I often find myself talking to the tv
As in "what do you think you're doing?" or "how's that working for you?" or "this ain't going to go that well......"

I'm with you there.

heh heh...
K.