My first online meeting!

For recovery discussion
LadyByrd
Forums Enthusiast

My first online meeting!

Post by LadyByrd »

Hi all

Just a quick line to say I have just attended my first online meeting. I'm very glad I went along, obviously confidentiality is sacred but I will say it was very interesting and at times very moving, it was great to listen - something I am not brilliant at - but the way it works really makes you pay attention!!! And it was great to have a chance to speak. Everyone was really nice, and I will be attending another one very soon!

It also enabled me to say the magic words that I haven't said up to now:
I'm Nicky and I have a drink problem.

Thanks

LB

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: My first online meeting!

Post by PaigeB »

So glad you took the step! See? Nobody getting hit with a baseball bat! Keep up the right action! (((hugs)))
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd »

Just keep :) doing what you're doing ODAT John D
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

RustyS
Forums Enthusiast

Post by RustyS »

Congratulations LadyByrd, I'm happy for you :D

--Rusty

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Well done, Nicky :D

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

I discovered those meetings for myself just last week, and they are proving to be some of the best online meetings I have ever experienced!

Hang in there, Nicky ...
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

rosco9058
Forums Enthusiast

Post by rosco9058 »

how do the online meetings work do u talk or type

Susan53
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Susan53 »

Hi

At on line meetings you type but it is run like a f2f meeting.

Take Care

Susan

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

I find them excellent, though I find that staying registered at the e-AA chat site is a nuisance. Don't visit for a few days and they de-register you. It's not very attractive from that point of view.

LadyByrd
Forums Enthusiast

Post by LadyByrd »

Thanks everyone!

Did second meeting last night, 9pm local time. Previously would be in bed hammered well before this time. So was pleased I stayed up and stayed sober for this.

Aiming to go for one a day. Day 3 today, didn't do a meeting on Day 1 but managed 2 on Day 2, so my average is good :mrgreen:

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

Mike O'R wrote:I find them excellent, though I find that staying registered at the e-AA chat site is a nuisance. Don't visit for a few days and they de-register you. It's not very attractive from that point of view.
Well, ya just gotta keep comin' back, eh?! ;)
=======================
=======================

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

leejosepho wrote:
Mike O'R wrote:I find them excellent, though I find that staying registered at the e-AA chat site is a nuisance. Don't visit for a few days and they de-register you. It's not very attractive from that point of view.
Sure, I can do that. There are many in early sobriety who would perhaps be deterred by having to continually re-register.

Anyhow, great that LB finds it so useful. That's what's important.

:)

LadyByrd
Forums Enthusiast

Post by LadyByrd »

Mike O'R wrote:Anyhow, great that LB finds it so useful. That's what's important. :)
Aw bless, thanks Mike!!!! :D

Went to the 1pm one today, each meeting so far has been inspiring, looking forward to the next one I can attend!

Nicky

LadyByrd
Forums Enthusiast

Post by LadyByrd »

Morning everyone hope everyone is well :)

Stayed awake last night and so went to the 10 o'clock local time. Typically I began to feel really tired about half way though but there was no way I was going to leave early - and I'm glad I stayed until the end.

One small query I have about meeting etiquette (without breaching confidentiality of course). When I was sharing, I was using the word 'I' to describe myself and my experience, until the very last line when I used the word 'you' instead of 'me'. I meant myself and I was using 'you' as a generalisation - something I do all the time in conversation without meaning the person I am speaking to - not to lecture or dictate to those listening. :? I hope they all realised that! :oops: I did fret about it afterwards while I was trying to sleep, so I said the serenity prayer a couple of times "I've typed it now, so I can't change it - accept it" and "I'm sure everyone understood what I meant" and hovered between feeling Ok about it and wondering if I had offended anyone, until I dropped off to sleep.

This morning I woke feeling much better about it, still hopeful that I haven't offended, and it occurred to me how maybe this is my own worst enemy (me!) playing silly games with myself, and it makes me think of how I did this all the time when I was drinking, to justify drinking and try and drink in a sensible fashion (as if :lol:) and that maybe this little episode is my insecure self looking for something else to fret about about in place of the booze. I think I said right at the start that I am terrible for Thinking Too Much! :roll:

I also thought about how it helps to share, so I hope you don't mind me sharing this with you, it seems the right thing to do even though it is probably such a trivial thing, and I suspect this is the sort of thing sometimes people, especially of an anxious disposition, have to cope with when recovering, when the self destruct button starts flashing to be pressed.

Apart from this, I am happy and looking forward to another sober day (No. 4) and another meeting!

Thanks for listening and I welcome any thoughts on this, as always. :)

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

Mike O'R wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Sure, I can do that. There are many in early sobriety who would perhaps be deterred by having to continually re-register.
Ah, please forgive me here. I had not meant to make a jab, but then neither had I taken the time to learn the actual nature of your concern.
=======================
=======================