Topic discussions

For recovery discussion
LuEleison

Topic discussions

Post by LuEleison » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:41 pm

I’m not a big fan of topic meetings because the subjects can stray from AA orthodoxy. The topic I’m picking tonight is ‘Suffering and the Justice of the Higher Power.’ I’m borrowing it from the subject of Theodicy which is a discussion of Evil and the justice of God.’ It’s been a subject that theologians have been wrestling with for thousands of years. I am a glum chum and get cranky these days.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Topic discussions

Post by PaigeB » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Doesn't sound like AA - but then again, I am kind of a purist. An atheist, but pretty picky about my AA. Seems to me that crap happens and it is good that I have no one to blame but myself.

As for another chronic medical condition, I look to science & medicine for my solution.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:40 pm

...and where's the punchline??
:twisted:

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:36 pm

Yeah, that topic sounds like kind of a stretch. Can't you keep it simple?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:51 pm

I am going to be moving this thread from "We Aren't a Glum Lot" (meant for light-hearted fun) to the Discussion Forum.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:21 pm

LuEleison wrote:The topic I’m picking tonight is ‘Suffering and the Justice of the Higher Power.’ I’m borrowing it from the subject of Theodicy which is a discussion of Evil and the justice of God.’ It’s been a subject that theologians have been wrestling with for thousands of years. I am a glum chum and get cranky these days.
That's a religious topic; not a spiritual one. It's interesting none-the-less; but it's not really suitable for an A.A. meeting to be honest.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

LuEleison

Post by LuEleison » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:51 pm

It’s an absolutely stupid topic and that’s my point. The 12 steps addressing the problem of moral evil in this world, it would send everyone back to the drink, including myself.
Imagine DA Dictators Anonymous, local chapter at the Hague. Their fifth step: Took control of the press, targeted a minority for propaganda purposes, built a police state, built an arsenal of nuclear weapons, tricked the Americans and the UN, made problems for OPEC, oppressed the people, manipulated the currency and money markets etc.

AA is big on anagrams how about TULIP or 5-point Calvinism.
Total depravity: Being a drunken wretch
Unconditional Election: We are among the elect of the Higher Power forAA and why some don’t get the program is not always within our grasp
Limited Atonement: Not all of us will be able to maintain sobriety for life.
Irresitable Grace: When called to AA, it is impossible to drink again without knowing there is an answer
Perseverance of the Saints: Once sober we cannot deny the gift

Just thinking outside the box.