Step Study

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

Step Study

Postby samantha » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi all,

Could we start a new Step Study here on the forums?

Sam
samantha

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Sure, you can start it. we all can offer input. I liked the way Karl went through the Big Book last year.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby samantha » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:29 am

I would really appreciate being able to do a Step Study here online ... would be great if someone with lots of ES&H could lead it...
Sam
samantha

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:28 am

I will try to re-kindle the topic by posting comments around the work already put forth by Karl last year. I will start from the preface/Forward. It will be a great opportunity for everyone to be in the solution.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:51 am

Thanks for your interest Sam and for your service, avaneesh -- I've always found the posts in the 12 Steps forum under the topic headings Step Study to be useful as well, in addition. http://www.e-aa.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=12

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby samantha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks Avaneesh. Must admit I am a bit confused though, when I post on the Big Book study forum it shows me as the last poster in the main page, but then the post is not there (this has happened twice).

Also, I am confused because I thought a Step Study was started at Step 1, stated the step, and then everyone shared. And at all Big Book meetings I have been to, the BB is read and then ppl share on that.

:?
Sam
samantha

Postby martin08 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:30 am

The directions for the Steps are found in the Big Book.

Though there are no clear statements that say "This is how you admit your are powerless" or "This is how you come to believe", the groundwork for Steps 1 & 2 begin in the preface and end following the Three Pertinant Ideas in the chapter, How It Works.

It was of paramount importance for me to be introduced into the premises of the first two Steps through the material in the Big Book. Otherwise, I might not have learned about things like the craving, the peculiar mental twist, and my agnostic nature. Step studies and meeting attendance didn't have the "depth and weight" which I recieved by taking the first 60 pages of the Big Book to heart.
Last edited by martin08 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:34 am

samantha wrote:Also, I am confused because I thought a Step Study was started at Step 1, stated the step, and then everyone shared.

That's how the Step Study in the 12 Steps forum handles it.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby samantha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks so much, I see it now. So grateful for this site.
samantha

Postby samantha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:58 am

Spiritual malady leads to obsesssion leads to drinking leads to craving.
samantha

Return to Suggestions