Glad to have found this site.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Glad to have found this site.

Postby fiona muir » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Obviously feeling dreadful today as is day 1. I know it will get better but just trying to take it 1 hour at a time for the moment. There are no meetings where I am in the French Alps and so I think this will be invaluable. I did get sober for 4 months last year but have had a bad slip and problematic drinking for the last 2 months. I don't know what made me think that i could go back to it and it be different. Worked for a while but then it quickly stops working which is when all the pain sets in. Anyway, almost 12 hours now - so that is good. Anyone else in the same boat today? Thanks for listening, Fiona
fiona muir

Postby Joe H » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Welcome, Fiona Muir, it is good to have you here.

I am not in my first day of sobriety nor the first twelve hours but I did have a first day of sobriety and it was very long. The good news is I got through it and I have no doubts but you can too. Just pray if you can, keep the plug in the jug and make yourself comfortable here. You are no longer alone.

While this is not my first day of sobriety but just like you it is the only day that I can stay sober. We will do it together.

You might ask the Mods to move this to the Newcomer folder, you will find all kinds of new friends there, some new, some who have been around.

Also on some of the Newcomer threads as well as the Big Book Study folder you will find the link to the online Big Book. That is a great place to start.

Glad to have you here, look forward to your future post.
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby bowlerdawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:47 pm

hi fiona and welcome
like Joe said your not alone
people here will help you to the best of their ability, and many if not all who read this post will pray on your behalf that you find the courage to not take the first drink

and yes it does and will get better
First of all we had to quit playing God, it didn't work
bowlerdawg
Forums Contributor

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:53 am

Hi Fiona. I'm glad you're here. I'd like to give you thie link to the Big Book online, so here it is:

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/

If you have a good day, keep coming back. If you have a bad day, keep coming back. If you haven't had a drink today, keep coming back. If you HAVE had a drink today, keep coming back. I hope you find a place here you can call your own.

Johnny
~~~If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!~~~

~~~Anger is because I'm not getting my way right now. Fear is because I may not get my way in the future. Resentment is because I didn't get my way in the past~~~
Johnny
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Oliver » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:32 am

Hi Fiona...

Welcome to e-AA... How's it going today? Let us know - we'd love to hear from you.

Oliver
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby keithd » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 am

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

Welcome: this comes the book Alcoholics Anonymous chapter 3.
keithd
Forums Contributor

Postby MCH » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Welcome Fiona, I'm glad you're here. It gets better.
"Understand that God has prepared you, and God has placed you, and God will not forsake you" Rev. Derrick Harkins
MCH
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Norwejn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Welcome!
French Alps?
Do they have bacon there? I bet bacon would be tasty at higher elevations.

Oh yeah, keep coming back.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Stay active by doing those little things you take pleasure in.
Eat lotsa bacon!!
When we drew near to Him he disclosed Himself to us!
Norwejn
Forums Contributor

Postby Mike O » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:35 am

Welcome Fiona.

We all had a first day,... first twelve hours...

You're with friends here so keep it here, OK???

Let us know how things're going.

-Mike
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby KB » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Welcome Fiona.

We all have been where you are and each day gets easier. I think Joe said it all. Good luck and keep coming back. Ken
KB
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer