To Thine Own Self?

For recovery discussion

To Thine Own Self?

Postby FYI » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Desire Chip..jpg

Many a newcomer looks at this in wonderment - TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE. What would you say to someone who asked what it means?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FYI
Trusted Servant

Re: To Thine Own Self?

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:38 pm

To yourself : be honest and loyal. Most people live a double life. We have the facade that we present to the world, then we have the inner self. For the alcoholic more than most, these lines become blurred and we can start to believe our own BS. Being true to self means no longer needing to hide in a bottle.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:24 pm

My brain plays tricks on me.

When drinking it would say, "This IS the real you. Get over it and get busy dying."

Of course I never REALLY knew the sober me... the me that did the steps and found some comfort in sobriety. It did not take as long as you might think. However, as this chip indicates, it only took one 24 Hour period to realize that this thing would work if I worked it. I figured I might as well give it a try - I had tried everything else! Well, I hadn't tried "drinking only natural wines"... I hadn't tried that, but I knew that after my first couple of 24 Hours that experiment would be foolish - as if natural wines with natural vodka in it might change the outcome. Even if it did, sooner or later I would return to the same old sloppy, "never knew where I would end up" drunken me. I think I had proven that to myself.

I decided to give this AA thing a try - the "real me try" - It worked. Just don't quit trying before the miracle happens.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 am

Put yourself first and that mean mentally and physically as to not fall for the get drunk guilt trip.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:05 am

In Chapter 6 we see this -
More than most people, the alcoholic leads a double life. He is very much the actor. To the outer world he presents his stage character. This is the one he likes his fellows to see. He wants to enjoy a certain reputation, but knows in his heart he doesn't deserve it.

I suffered a lot from that and still struggle a bit to avoid playing the big shot, getting the ego under control and practicing humility are important to the AA program, and to happiness. I found this from ‘Psychology Today’ under the heading ‘To Thine Own Self Be True.’
First, there is our outer authenticity – how well what we say and do matches what is really going on inside us.
Second, there is our inner authenticity – how well we actually know ourselves and are aware of our inner states.
No one is fully authentic all of the time in their outer presentation. Sometimes we need to put on an act to get by. But some people spend more time living inauthentically than others. It is unpleasant and damaging to us if we are trapped in jobs or relationships where we rarely get the chance to be ourselves. If we are trapped, we need to change the situation when we can so that we can be free to express ourselves authentically.
More damaging, however, is when we don’t know ourselves and it is our inner authenticity which is compromised.
Ask yourself: 
• How much of the time do you feel that you can be the real you?
• Are you easily influenced by other people?
• Do you always stand up for what you believe in?
• What are the barriers to being yourself? 
• How well do you know yourself? 
Not surprisingly, surveys show that, on average, people who scored higher on tests for authenticity are more satisfied with life, have higher self-esteem and are generally happier. As Mohandas Gandhi put it so well, ‘happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony’.
More recently, Steve Jobs, who died in October 2011, is quoted as saying: “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:36 am

You need to remember the rest of the quote from Shakespeare: To thine own self be true... or thou canst be true to no man.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby aaforever » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 am

If someone ask then they should know when they do AA that people dont usually judge other people if they are self consious about doing AA and are helping each other
Live and Let Live!
aaforever
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 pm

For me this is an Inner Journey. NO ONE knows, nor is it possible to know, what is Inside another person. Therefore, when I make my decisions with the help of my newly-tapped "Inner Resource" I have to be true to what my HP would have me do and say and be. Here I learn integrity and humility.

I can only do that if I am Truly rigorously honest with myself. No one can talk me into anything against that Inner Self unless I allow it. I pay the inner price for all my actions, good or bad.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby SoberSarahK » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 pm

To me it’s about being totally aware and transparent with yourself. It’s about humility for me. My pride gets in the way a lot. But the more I witness myself and my choices I can apply step one to encourage me to surrender and allow myself to blunder and make mistakes without attacking my self esteem. It’s also about boundaries. We know our triggers and it becomes easier to hold healthy boundaries to preserve our sobriety and the good lives it affords us. When I relapsed recently, I re examined my character defects and how the influence choices and behavior negatively. It’s too easy for me to get complacent and in self doubt. I need to choose me, and that means accepting support and help, hold strong boundaries for my own benefit, and taking decisive action in caring for myself.
SoberSarahK
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions