No luck with a sponsor...

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?

No luck with a sponsor...

Postby Adwisnie22 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Hello, everybody. I have 11 months sober, but have done nearly no work with a sponsor. I had one the first few months and only got through step 1 with her. We mutually agreed to break up due to conflicting schedules. I wasn’t worried about it at the time because I figured it would be easy to find another. Long story short, I have had no luck the past few months of my search and I feel like I am running out of options. I have tried many different meetings to find different groups of women and they were either non-existent or I found none that I connected with or were interested in sponsoring me. One girl that I know found her sponsor through an online group, similar to something like this. I am curious if that could be a possibility for me, as well. I’m open to any thoughts on this. Thanks.
Adwisnie22
Forums Newcomer

Re: No luck with a sponsor...

Postby PaigeB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Keep an open mind and an open heart. Everything will work out! Don't give up on finding a face to face sponsor. I have found my to be invaluable. She taught me so much about relationships and the Steps of course. She is a true gem.

You will get a lot of different answers regarding sponsorship on this Forum. We also have a temp sponsor program!
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5297
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 pm

Welcome here Adwisnie22.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck in finding a suitable sponsor, my personal opinion is that this should not hold us back completely, and when you report only getting through step one, I believe you may be surprised that you are further along than that. In your eleven months, I imagine you have also come to accept that depending on a higher power is necessary, and hopefully started to do so, you may find that steps 2 & 3 are things you understand and accept.

Paige has put up the link for finding a temporary sponsor here, and I wish you the best of luck with this, please keep in mind that any questions or comments you wish to make are very welcome here as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Adwisnie22 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Thank you Brock and PaigeB. I will check out that program for sure. I definitely have an understanding of more than just the first step, just haven’t done the work, you know. I am really ready to, however, and still hopeful I will find someone soon.
Adwisnie22
Forums Newcomer

Postby Jojo2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Welcome Adwisnie

You have now been allocated a sponsor.

A temporary sponsor is a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous who is willing to share their experience, strength, and hope with another alcoholic as a way of service to help insure their own sobriety.

Their main function is to help guide the individual towards the 12 Steps, and also, where appropriate to help guide the individual to face to face meetings and a f2f sponsor in their local AA community.

An excellent introduction on sponsorship, permanent or temporary, with questions and answers, is this pamphlet
from GSO :

Questions and Answers on Sponsorship:
http://aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf

Please let me know if you have questions or need further assistance.

http://e-aa.org/form_officer_contact.ph ... oordinator

Kind Regards

Jojo

e-AA 12th Step Coordinator
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Postby Service » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:36 pm

A.A states "To be like some else presently has to be smashed" You may have been blessed instead of bitten (re: Vampire)
You stand a chance to now be true to thy self instead of another co-dependent is it really an inside job or not?
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby tomsteve » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 am

one thing to consider here:
a sponsor is good, but not a requirement to work the steps.
there were, and are many people that have recovered by doing nothing more than getting the big book, going to meetings, and doing that the big book suggests.
in the early days of AA,shortly after the BB was published, people didnt even have meetings to attend- they just had the big book and did what it suggests, recovered, and started meetings in their area.
i didint get a sponsor for a while but still worked the steps. i got a sponsor when i was working on the 4th. before asking we had been to quite a few of the same meetings, had some good meetings before the meeting and after, and i asked questions. i also brought up the topic at some meetings.

Adwisnie22 wrote:Thank you Brock and PaigeB. I will check out that program for sure. I definitely have an understanding of more than just the first step, just haven’t done the work, you know. I am really ready to, however, and still hopeful I will find someone soon.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Return to Sponsorship