Are there any runners here?

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

Re: Are there any runners here?

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:I finished a 50 mile race on Saturday. I am amazed at what great shape I was at the end. No aches or issues, just tired. And I am 58 years old. Super.

Well done, SF, that's amazing for someone of any age.

How did you train for it?

This pic is from a 46 mile ultra (Brecon Beacons Ultra) from three weeks ago. A respectable time is sub 10 hours. I did it in just over 11 hours; head torches and whining were the order of the day. Near wrecked me. :lol:

Click on the pic to see the full image:

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Lovely photograph, could you tell us if there’s something different in the way we load photographs, to allow this expansion by clicking.

Also really good to see an old member back after a hiatus, I hope you will pay us a visit now and again. A lot of the oldtimers have drifted away, and the forums have ‘suffered’ as a result.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Brock wrote:Lovely photograph, could you tell us if there’s something different in the way we load photographs, to allow this expansion by clicking.

I don't know, Brock. I think my photographic files can be large, so I make them smaller by using a screen shot and I just upload them using the forum 'Upload attachment' at the bottom.

Brock wrote:Also really good to see an old member back after a hiatus, I hope you will pay us a visit now and again. A lot of the oldtimers have drifted away, and the forums have ‘suffered’ as a result.

Yeh, sorry, Brock. I'm back now. :shock:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:I am amazed at what great shape I was at the end. No aches or issues, just tired.

I was broken. I couldn't move for two days without making "Grrr uugggghhhh" noises. I wore a pair of skins (leggings) which got wet and chaffed my thighs; it was like rope burns down there. My feet were just so tired. My legs were smashed. The next day even my biceps felt like I'd been power curling.

It was my first ultra though and I thought it went okay. Apart from the leggings I was happy with my kit and running shoes; no blisters at all.

And my training went okay; I used low-heart-rate-training apart from races, all this year. It really worked for me. I've got a few short fun (but tough) races lined up, with a marathon in Apr 18. I'm going to try a sub 3.30, but I'm not fussed if I'm slower.

I might do another ultra marathon later in 2018 too.

Much of the training reminded me of the basics of recovery. It's all done a day-at-a-time, one-training-run-at-a-time. A running support group is invaluable too. Like sobriety, running is a team effort; I couldn't do it alone.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:46 pm

I have a 50k this coming Saturday. And over New Years weekend, I'm going to attempt 100 miles in 55 hours. I'll use all the time, and even go home to sleep and eat during the race.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:I have a 50k this coming Saturday. And over New Years weekend, I'm going to attempt 100 miles in 55 hours. I'll use all the time, and even go home to sleep and eat during the race.

Fair play. Running all that low-intensity distance is tough, because I find I have a lot of time to think. 100 miles is another league too. I class that as a really long drive.

Sometimes - I suspect - my resistance to my long weekend back-to-back training runs wasn't really about the physical discomfort, but more about resistance to the time I get to spend inside my own head, with very little distraction.

Do you meditate and/or practise mindfulness while you run?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Do you meditate and/or practice mindfulness while you run?
yes. I watch my thoughts and continually change the channel. Or connect with the silent consciousness of the natural world. And I pray as needed. If things are really bad, I'll use a mantra.
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Spirit Flower wrote: If things are really bad, I'll use a mantra.

Hahaha; I do that too. I have two Buddhist ones; I haven't a clue what they mean, which is good, I just say them and I can't think about them.

I'm glad my ultra is over with though. I found the training difficult. I'm just going to enjoy running for a while. We had snow last night, the first proper snow in about four years, so I put my trail shoes on and headed out early and did ten miles.

I took my camera with me and it was just lovely; nice easy running - looking for photos; in the moment.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:51 am

Mrs Tosh and I ran a route on Sunday that's called a 'fell race' (Black Mountain's fell race) in South Wales, UK. It's 18 miles of slogging up and down big massive hills, crossing streams, and over some tough terrain. We raced it last September, but we're practicing the route to finesse some parts of it, and hopefully get a bit quicker (there's no set route, just six checkpoints to arrive at, in a certain order).

And it's a sneaky route too; the first three quarters are designed to tire you and the last quarter, through a forest, is designed to get you lost.

It's such a nasty race that we like the humour behind it.

Very picturesque though:
Last edited by Tosh on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:11 am

The pony is cute.
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...