Happiness?

For recovery discussion

Happiness?

Postby FYI » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 am

Does getting sober and having a spiritual awaking, change your mind on what makes you happy.

The forums will from time to time put up topics like this, in the hope that members will find them interesting enough to start a discussion.
FYI
Trusted Servant

Re: Happiness?

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Happiness and sadness is something the mind labels each event. I do derive joy when new comers gets excited and jump into the program and take charge of the recovery.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:47 am

As a practicing alcoholic, I believed happiness would be lots of money, which would buy fine things, including unlimited drinks. That people would mind their own business and not tell me what to do, and as it says in ‘How it Works’ do what I want them to do - “If his arrangements would only stay put, if only people would do as he wished, the show would be great. Everybody, including himself, would be pleased. Life would be wonderful.”

With the spiritual development that the AA program offers things have changed, gratitude for simple things in life has replaced my dreams of being #1.There is little fear and worry about the past or future and more living in the present, less caring about what people say and just wishing the best for everyone. I often close my contribution at meetings by saying I have never been happier.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Mike O » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:20 am

When I was drinking, I was happy when everything was working out exactly as I would want it to, and everyone was exactly as I wanted them to be. As you might imagine, I was very rarely happy. So, I drank and, initially, this made me happy, or at least I forgot for a while why I was unhappy.

Now, sober, I have no need to depend on other people behaving as I would want them to, in order for me to be happy. I still have a tendency to want things to align themselves with my preset patterns for life, but I work on this daily, through application of the 12 step principles in all my affairs. I can still be happy, even if things and folk are not totally as I would have them be.

It worked for me.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:54 am

When I drank I was somewhat happy because I could mask my situation and eventually that didn't work and I wanted to die.

In sobriety I have lived through a lot of not yets the program and members told me about and most of those were long after I had years of sobriety and had gotten married. Happiness as I see it in the mind of the beholder and I have swings of good healthy happiness and some depression. I work to try and limit my vocal points of my feelings and keep my down times to myself. Those who know me can tell if I am overly quiet then I am in a place and they sometimes get me joking around to lighten up and I do and yet it is all in my time and a good nights rest for me to bounce back. I believe my worst day sober is far easier than any of my drunk and hung-over days and I didn't need to go get drunk because the world didn't suit my fancy once I really got serious about living sober.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:06 pm

When I sobered up, it dawned on me that there's a difference between happiness and serenity, or peace of mind.

Some people are so happy that they will never be released from the psych ward. So for a free life, there's more to it than just being happy. It's all about being OK with self, be it in times of happiness or grief.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Roberth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:53 am

I found something better......acceptance an and piece of mind
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Layne » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 am

I am with Blue Moon and Roberth.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:36 pm

FYI wrote:Does getting sober and having a spiritual awaking, change your mind on what makes you happy.

The forums will from time to time put up topics like this, in the hope that members will find them interesting enough to start a discussion.

The first thing an alkie in A.A. asks for isn't happiness, it's serenity.

And what do you mean by 'happiness'? Happiness for me used to be going to a party, getting a new car, getting a new woman, getting a promotion, but when I look closer I think I was confusing euphoria with happiness. And euphoria wasn't good for me; it also drove me to drink. Euphoria feels like anxiety, but with a different kind of thinking attached to the feeling.

Now my concept of happiness is having SOME serenity, because quite often I'm not serene at all. :shock:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Bridges » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 am

Blue Moon wrote:Some people are so happy that they will never be released from the psych ward. So for a free life, there's more to it than just being happy. It's all about being OK with self, be it in times of happiness or grief.

In my mind, it would be ideal to obtain this kind of happiness.
Last edited by Bridges on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridges
Forums Newcomer

Postby clouds » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 am

Tosh wrote:
Now my concept of happiness is having SOME serenity, because quite often I'm not serene at all. :shock:

There is hope for me then. Truly glad i'm not the only one.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Layne » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:14 am

For me, serenity is when I know that things are going to be alright, even when things are not alright.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions