am I still sober if?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: am I still sober if?

Postby gaftech » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:32 am

Day 44 here. I am taking care of my sugar cravings mostly by drinking grape-flavored Gatorade mixed with Sprite (no caffeine). I almost always have a 30 ounce mug of it at my elbow, kinda like I did with the beer. I can also relate to the need for perfectionism, although I have tended in that direction for most of my life.

I have definitely been "...straining every nerve to make up for lost time." too. In my first few weeks of sobriety I made plans to go back to school, get those things done around the house I've been ignoring, get back out in my shop and learn how to make furniture, etc.. I finally came to the realization that, although I'm 60 years old, I still have plenty of time to accomplish a lot of those things, but I have to slow my mind down and figure out how to do them without killing myself in the process. "Slow and steady wins the race", as they say.
gaftech
Forums Newcomer

Postby Atchafalaya » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:08 am

The first two days I was just struggling to get by. But I know what you guys are all talking about. Now there are so many things I want to do and I am writing them all down. I am going to be a grandmother in May and that's one of the reasons why I knew I had to do something now about my drinking. So I will pick up my crocheting again. I am 55 so I'm no spring chicken either. But I agree but there's still a lot of time to get things done and make up for lost time.
Atchafalaya
Forums Newcomer

Postby clouds » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 am

Honestly coffee, tea, chocolate, sweets, icecream never replaced alcohol for me or took cravings away. I have them sometimes. I have seen so many people sober in AA then take meds, marijuana or some other drugs and pretty soon they vanished from the rooms that I stay away from that stuff like the plague. I have heard diet pills can cause a lot of nervousness and bad health, so maybe those are not so good for you.

Funny thing about perfectionism and alcoholics though. Lots of AA's used to talk about hidding their bottles. I didn't have to do that because everybody I knew and all my surrounding relatives were hard drinkers or alkies too. So I had another way of trying to hide my alcoholism:) I was obsessed on keeping up appearances, especially the housework. I was motivated to keep the house looking really clean and ordered thinking that a clean house was hiding my alcoholism, as if no body would suspect anything was wrong with me if my house was spotless.
Then, after coming into AA, doing the steps, and settling into my sober life I have had to work very very hard at getting any motivation whatsoever to keep up appearances and keeping the house work up to snuff. :lol: The deceitful motives I had in the old days were stronger in that case than just the normal ones I have now in my sober days!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 am

As a reminder and suggestion regarding your mind, expectations and just day to day sobriety survival is not to over extend, make promises and or think you have to get everything accomplished now! As you will hear in the rooms of those who failed and relapsed because of the perceived perfection that is required to make up for all those lost opportunities. Many of you have to learn the hard way and I am one of those who learns by stubbornness and so you aren't alone. Took me 7 years to finally quit smoking as smoking was my default if I thought about drinking and then the additional years was I wasn't serious about quitting and then once I was sick and tired of being sick and tired I quit in November 1995. Pace yourself and it all answers out in time.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby gaftech » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 am

I forgot about smoking! I thought I smoked a lot when I drank but it's nothing compared to how much I smoke now that I'm newly sober. However, I have set a quit date of the beginning of 2018 to quit (I have COPD so quitting is not an option). I purposefully planned it this way so that I would have close to 90 days sober before I quit. I also read somewhere that alcoholics that quit smoking fairly soon after they quit drinking have a higher rate of staying sober than those who continue smoking after they've become sober. Personally, I find that kind of hard to believe because smoking is more of a physical addiction than a mental one whereas with alcohol I believe it's the opposite.
gaftech
Forums Newcomer

Postby Atchafalaya » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 am

That's how I failed 20 years ago when I quit drinking for 2 years. I pushed myself too hard. To do everything I hadn't done in my early life. I drank for the next 20 years every weekend and then lately, every day. :P
As for smoking, I quit smoking 2 years ago August. However, I do vape. I know it's still "bad" for you, but my lung function test last month was better than the one I had in 2009. I'll quit the vaping once I get a year of sobriety under my belt. One day at a time. One thing at a time.
Today is day 6 for me. Yippie!
Atchafalaya
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:01 pm

gaftech wrote: However, I have set a quit date of the beginning of 2018 to quit (I have COPD so quitting is not an option).

I also found that smoking, like drinking, was something I had to be sick enough doing, to run out of excuses not to stop. About six months before stopping drinking I lost my voice, and it was diagnosed throat cancer. I prayed to God get me through this I will be a good boy, will stop drinking as well. Two weeks after a successful operation, voice good again and shouting for more rum at my local bar. I think God smiled and made the drinking get so bad, I had no choice in that one either.

I found the patches were helpful, but unlike alcoholism, where I have reached a stage of never really thinking of a drink, the urge for a smoke comes on quite strongly now and then. Others who stopped have said the same thing, but it is an expensive and stupid habit, one that I am very pleased to have kicked, and wish you the best of luck in doing so as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Mike O » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:10 am

Strangely enough, I found it easy to quit smoking once I stopped drinking. The two went hand-in-hand for me. My last drink, almost ten years ago, was accompanied by my last ciggie.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer