18 Months!

For recovery discussion

18 Months!

Postby waller_alkie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Everyone,

I've identified as an alcoholic since I was 19 years old. I am now 48. Long story short, I have grown up in (and out) of the Program. The 12 Steps have guided my life, even when I wasn't sober. I had other issues affecting my life that went unaddressed until recently, but now we're all on board. It appears that the onion has been peeled, and God has helped me to become aware of the things in my life that have undermined my ability to maintain my sobriety in the past. I could not be more grateful. I am actively working with my Sponsor, working my Steps, participating in other 12 Step groups, and engaged in my medical care that is also essential for my recovery.

I am currently self-employed and my work is such that I need to avail myself to my clients at their convenience. Currently, everyone (and I have worked hard to have a full schedule) is relying on me to be available to them at the exact times that my Home Group holds meetings (7PM). So I have not been able to attend an in-person meeting there for a while. This "season" of work will pass - soon with the holidays, etc. - and I will go back to my meeting schedule. Meanwhile, I have been reading the posts here and participating in phone "meetings" with my friends from the group.

I know I cannot stay sober without AA. As I told you, I have been around for a long time. I actually know this firsthand. There is no doubt in my mind. Nor do I want to live my life without AA. I love AA, am grateful for the 12 Steps and AA, and everything this Program has given me and done to save me and give me a life.

I celebrated 18 months on 11/25/17, and I have not been able to pick up my chip yet. Can I just celebrate with you all for now? I mean, my Sponsor and my friends have all talked about it, but I just wanted to share with you all. Thank you for helping me stay sober, every day. I love you and wish you peace and sobriety, One Day at a Time.
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
waller_alkie
Forums Newcomer

Re: 18 Months!

Postby positrac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am

In some ways my story as well. Waller is a pretty town and so country and yet so close to Houston.

You know to keep coming back and the rests work if we work it. Great job on 18 months and I say keep'm coming as it only gets better in time is all I can promise as I've been on this journey for 28 years and I am never amazed of the grace God has on my sorry hide.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:49 am

Hi Walker,

I live in Houston area, and there are meetings around the clock at several locations; just wouldn't be your "home group." I understand that your busy schedule is temporary for the holidays? So no point in going to another group?

You might want to try one new meeting a week.

I've been sober 32 years and try to get to one or two meetings a week. I always go on weekends because during the week is too hectic.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Well done Waller and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby waller_alkie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 am

Thank you, All!

Spirit Flower, I'm in Waller (not Walker) and it's a bit of a hike from Houston (sadly). I do get to Katy, Hempstead, and Cypress for non-Home Group meetings from time to time. I agree that getting to new meetings and exploring is a good idea and even a part of 12 Step work.

I'm grateful for AA, the 12 Steps, e-AA, all of you, and for my sobriety today.
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
waller_alkie
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:05 am

waller_alkie wrote:Thank you, All!

Spirit Flower, I'm in Waller (not Walker) and it's a bit of a hike from Houston (sadly). I do get to Katy, Hempstead, and Cypress for non-Home Group meetings from time to time. I agree that getting to new meetings and exploring is a good idea and even a part of 12 Step work.

I'm grateful for AA, the 12 Steps, e-AA, all of you, and for my sobriety today.

I have a childhood friend who has a cowboy church in Waller near some railroad tracks and so I visited him a few times many years ago after 25 plus years and it was good to see him. I liked Waller because it is a small town near the insanity of Houston.

Again well done and keep it up.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions