New Here, Refusing to Isolate

For recovery discussion

New Here, Refusing to Isolate

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Hello one and all.

My name is Bob and I'm definitely an alcoholic.

I'm a former low-bottom drunk with 1 year sobriety currently working the chicken rotisserie in my local wholesale club. I started a new work/sleep schedule a few days ago and haven't been to a meeting since. (Switched from the graveyard shift to 5am - 1pm aka "early morning" shift), but my body makes me sleep most of the pm. That in turn conflicts with the only meeting in town.

It would be a bad idea for me to start a spiral of isolation do. . . here I am. =biggrin

A little food for thought:
"Instead of regarding ourselves as intelligent agents, spearheads of God's ever advancing Creation, we agnostics and atheists chose to believe that our human intelligence was the last word, the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end of all. Rather vain of us, wasn't it?"
BB page49

Thanks in advance.
1Peter5:10
Forums Newcomer

Re: New Here, Refusing to Isolate

Postby positrac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:34 am

Good question and what I know is I am a loner and so getting stuff between my ears can be bad for my mental sobriety. You need work in order to live and change although painful can and should be a motivator for self improvement. Set a goal to work on your sleeping habits and see if you can learn to wind down after work and sleep until a certain time and then hit your meeting and do your duties and then maybe catch a nap before you have to be on the clock. Maybe this can balance out your needs better. I worked nights for 20 years and so I had to learn to not let the sleep totally control my life and so I split up my sleep to be available.

Pray for energy and strength to change areas of concern and hopefully it'll make you feel less isolated.

be well
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:30 am

Thanks positrac. Yeah, normally a 5 am start, like I have now, would just mean waking up earlier, nut my bodyclock got all out of whack during the brief interim (when I worked overnights.)

Today is 'my Saturday,' meaning I have today and tomorrow off. Hopefully I can use this time to 'tough it out' and adjust my body clock.

Hey, I pulled more than one sleepless night to achieve my alcoholism. I'll just have to pull a few more to achieve sobriety. Sigh.

I grateful this forum is here.
1Peter5:10
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:43 am

Hi,

Check out "Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome". You will probably never hear about PAWS in AA meetings, but it's legitimate and may account for a lot of sleep problems and other issues. I remember my early months, I would be passing out when it was time to head to a meeting, then awake at weird times of night.

It settles down, but yes we need resources to supplement the meetings and Steps.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Roberth » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:51 am

Welcome to E-AA Bob. My name is Robert and I am Los Angeles area alcoholic. I have 3:30 wake up so I know the early morning drill......
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Return to Discussions