Alcohol Withdrawal......

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Alcohol Withdrawal......

Postby ann2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:41 pm

Welcome Jason! I was 26 when I got to AA. I had been trying to "taper off" over the previous year, in fact, when I had landed in some deep and mightly horror thanks to drinking, so when I was 25 I tried to turn my life around by myself and limiting my intake. Well, you can imagine how that turned out. I saw myself taking more and more until finally the reality hit me: I would never have a future as long as I was drinking, because alcohol made anything I did a big question mark -- would I actually do it? would I do it halfway? would I do it badly? I never knew, because the drink had control.

So at 26 I got a moment of clarity and ended up telling a friend who got me to AA. So you know, I'd been "tapering off" over the past year, you'd think I'd have no problem with withdrawal? Oh contraire, mon ami. I still suffered, physically, despite the infrequency of my drinking. But the mental obsession was the worst, and just as strong no matter how much or how little I had been drinking in recent history.

Our disease is something that relates to drinking but isn't totally about drinking. AA offered me a way out of the maelstrom of misdirection in my mind. It's been over 22 years and I am one satisfied customer. Glad you're here.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby kim » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:52 am

Interesting point Ann...and so true. I know when I told myself, for now on only on special occasions, or for now on....anything that still allowed me the drink - I simply could not get over the mental obsession. For me, it was only until I had the realization that it was my allergic body that would take over every single time, and that I would never get IT right...only until I could honestly say, I could not have one - that I could let go, fully abandon myself to God and this problem and begin the healing process. There was no fence walking....one side or the other....So thankful for the side I am finally on...and so glad to be free of the obsession of figuring out how or if I could do the balancing act...

standing firm!!
kim
kim
Forums Enthusiast

Postby JasonD » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:10 pm

ann2 wrote:I would never have a future as long as I was drinking.....

That is so true. My friends are still trying to convince me that tapering is the solution but just ignore the advice. Anyway, been more than a week i guess and feel great without alcohol. I wake up fresh and ready for the day. :)
JasonD
Forums Newcomer

Postby kim » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:49 am

Hi Jason,

Even though you cannot attend face to face meetings, you can still come here and may I suggest that you find an online sponsor? I am learning that it is one thing to simply not drink, it is quite another to learn how to actually live without it. It has also made a difference for me to search the BB for answers to specific questions given to me by my sponsor, as opposed to simply reading it as if it were a novel. Just a thought! Hooray for you Jason! Keep up the good work!
kim
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Graylensman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:24 am

Hi Jason, I am also someone that cannot attend face to face meetings due to geographical reasons. Keeping the chemical out of your system is key to dealing with craving. I have just passed 90 days and feel brilliant! Life has changed and is feel better that ever. For those of you that know me, I couldn't have done it without you. Gray
One is too many, a thousand is not enough!
Graylensman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby JasonD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 am

Thanks Kim, i will give more thought to an online sponsor. I just feel it wont be same because it wont have that "personal touch". :(

Graylensman, great job! 90 days without alcohol is a feat for us. I am yet to reach one full month without alcohol but i already feel great. What's more surprising is, i dont have any craving for alcohol at all. So far no alcohol withdrawal too. I turned down numerous invitations for drinking sessions, which i wasnt able to do before i posted here! Life without alcohol seems so different, all of a sudden, i have things to do, people to meet and targets to reach. Once again, thanks everyone for your kind words! Hope to reach my first 90 days without alcohol.
JasonD
Forums Newcomer

Postby PamelaParker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm

I want to leave alcohol and when I am at my home, I never touch those. But when I go to any party or gathering where I see all people taking drinks , I can't control. I don't know how to say no and when to quit, but that urge to drink still exists in me. How could I overcome this problem? Please help me. I am alcoholic from last 5 years and what to overcome it and want a great life with my family. I would love to hear your stories and also we can support each other throughout this. I want start to slowly drink less and I do not have the horrible withdrawals that come from true alcohol withdrawal (been there, done that).

I have read many motivational blogs on alcohol drug rehab

(Links to blog sites removed, sorry we only allow links to AA.org)
PamelaParker
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:27 am

I want start to slowly drink less and I do not have the horrible withdrawals that come from true alcohol withdrawal (been there, done that).

Unfortunately we have a physical problem coupled with mental and spiritual. Once we put something in out body, there is no gaurantee how much we drink. It will trick us because we could do it one or 2 times. We will be caught in a vicious cycle. if you have a good insurance a short stint at the detox facility will be great.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am

Hi, You will find support and a way to stay sober from the people who go to AA meetings in your area.

Check your phone book for Alcoholics Anonymous and when you call them tell them you are new to this but you would like to get to an AA meeting.

Glad you are here on e-aa, there are lots of people here who will be glad to answer any questions you have about meetings and AA.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:06 am

PamelaParker wrote: I don't know how to say no and when to quit, but that urge to drink still exists in me. How could I overcome this problem?

Welcome here Pamela.

As others have advised AA has a program that will overcome this, I will put up some links to sections of what we call the ‘Big Book,’ and a meeting finder. When we say it will help overcome the problem, we mean you won’t even think about drinking again, once you practice what they recommend, this is what the book says happens when we do the suggested steps -
We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

It’s a simple but very powerful program, and I wish you the best in finding what we have. Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments, we enjoy discussing these things.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer