Difficult to practice spiritual principles @ home?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Difficult to practice spiritual principles @ home?

Postby ThelonleyMango » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Why is it so difficult to practice spiritual principles @ home?
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Difficult to practice spiritual principles @ home?

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:39 am

The old adage "Familiarity leads to contempt". Also I think its the control issue or we know nobody is looking. The boss mentality. Deep down we think because they are the spouse, kids.... they have to behave in a certain way.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 am

probably because its the home that suffered the most through our drinking.
theres some good stuff in "the family afterwards."
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby clouds » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:24 am

I like to think I'm better than what I probably really am and my family know me as I really am.
It can be disappointing sometimes, but it keeps me more humble this way.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 am

This is one that with familiar surroundings lends to being relaxed and also from past experiences the people you/we/ I interacted with may be looking for revenge, show anger and or waiting for the aggression and so we sense it and fall into the same old trap day after day and once we can get through this period our lives become better. Now others might not heal as fast as we might and so they will hold some resentments because actions are louder than words. We might be in a phase of temporary recovery as in the past.

Time heals things in his time and not ours and so it is a process. I wish you success in the future because it is a good thing to overcome and finding peace and love at home.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Hello Mango, could it be because you are trying too hard to be perfect? The key word is practice.

Practice: perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, being new it’s hard. I haven’t found the meeting where the sprinkle magic AA dust on or heads and we are perfect, it take work to get better at it.

P.S. if someone finds the meeting with the magic AA dust let me know..... :wink:
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby marthamaree » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi lonely mango. I have 25 days up. I agree with you. I heard in a meeting to pray before I react and or talk to someone I trust before I decide to go in with both guns blazing. (metaphorically) They dont have to live with our people though. (wink) MM from Australia. x
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 pm

they say if you want to see how sober an aa member really is then follow them home
I had to learn how to take how I was in the meetings home with me

it's very easy to be helpful in the rooms etc but the hardest thing is to be that way in the home

one wife of a fellow aa member said to him that she wishes he treated her like an aa member which he shares in the rooms to show how he was Mr perfect in the room but horrible to his wife so he still had lots of work to do that's why it's always ongomg
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 pm

I have always tried hardest to please people that probably won't attend my funeral. The one's that will, I often forget.

Until things like this topic appear and remind me my priorities are often backwards.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby clouds » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:47 am

If I live long enough there won't be anyone at my funeral anyway. So better that the first place priorityis that I'm right with my HP, everything else should then fall into place with people. That's how I see the 12 step program is written.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer