question on sponsership.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

question on sponsership.

Postby marthamaree » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 pm

Does everyone have a sponser? Who and how did you ask?
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Re: question on sponsership.

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:05 am

One definitely needs someone in the beginning to help us understand how the process works. Moreover we need a person to help us highlight our short-comings/character defects. Most balk at that step.But the book is very clear about it.

There is a pamphlet that AA publishes that describes the role of the sponsor.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23922

How do you go about finding one? Usually in meetings around where I go, they ask people to raise their hands who are willing to sponsor people. If not, you can ask during your share if there are any person willing to guide you through the steps.

As a last resort there are is always sponsors available through e-aa.org.

I would also suggest that you download some of the workshops on the big book freely available online, just so you can get oriented with the steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Caretaker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:12 am

Good question. I don't have one yet but I'm only 6 days sober. In the meetings I've been hearing the words "nice and easy" and "turn it over to God". So I'm thinking in the right time God will show us who it is or who to ask. I'm a "Make things happen " kind of girl so this "let go and let God" thing is hard stuff!! Lol! Do you have someone in mind? If so ask her that could be God prompting you. Good luck Martha:)
Caretaker
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:31 am

I was told to go to a lot of different meeting and then pick someone who had what I wanted. In my case it was a woman who had daily life struggles, but seemed to be using the program to effectively deal with those things. I was told to watch for someone who had been through the Steps and talked about the Steps in meetings.

Then I just walked up to her and asked her. We met once to discuss sponsorship and decide if working together seemed like the "next right thing". I have women call me on the phone and set up a time to meet and discuss sponsorship. Some of those I went on to sponsor and others I have not.

For me, the wrong way to do it was to NOT do it.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Hello Marthamaree, My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. I would suggest that you have a sponsor. I don’t know too many that were successful without one for at least the beginning.
They say when the student is ready the teacher will appear. I didn’t pick my sponsor, he picked me. I was talking to him about AA and the next thing I knew he told me “as your sponsor I will not tell you what to do but rather what I would do” and he walked away before I could say anything.
He gave me a foundation that would carry me through some of the roughest time in my life over the next 25+ years. He did that by introducing me to the principles of AA by taking me through the step
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby ODAAT » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 pm

AA informs from a survey that 82% of the members have a sponsor. 74% got a sponsor within 90 days.

I considered asking a few people based on their sharing in meetings. I just asked my chosen sponsor candidate. It took me 10-12 months to do it. An exemplar of a grateful alcoholic, my first sponsor was very crucial to my sobriety.
ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Postby marthamaree » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 am

thanks everyone. That will be my next step.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer