3 months out of prison

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

3 months out of prison

Postby TaylorKoleDOTcom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Three months out. Five years in, over six of sobriety. I wrote in there. Just put a small piece on Spammer if any cares to be the first to read or comment.
I'm trying to build a new support base. I'm lonely but feel good. I haven't wanted to drink (and someone left a fifth in my desk, Crown). Anyone like to read? Anyone sympathetic to a man rebuilding it all? I imagine so. Thanks for any shared thoughts.
TaylorKoleDOTcom
Forums Newcomer

Re: 3 months out of prison

Postby Brock » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Welcome here Taylor.

I guess everyone here had to rebuild to some extent, some a lot more than others, and having been there we would be supportive because we understand. Of course spending five years in presents different challenges in the rebuilding process, we have a good group of AA’s here with varying amounts of sobriety, and as support bases go it can certainly act as one of yours.

Sorry we had to remove your signature with the spammer link, we have a strict links policy which you can see here - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23992
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby TaylorKoleDOTcom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I see, thank you
TaylorKoleDOTcom
Forums Newcomer

Postby desypete » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:02 am

hi taylor
i to have had to end up in prison and try to sort my life out
i can remember all those letters i wrote for my loved ones back home to my kids i promised them there dad would be back a sober man again when i get out
to my ex wife i promised her that i would love her and treat her better i would make it my life to rebuild all the damage

all they wanted was that sober man who they loved back the one who did have some good decency about him, not the drunk monster of a man that they hated

anyway i got released from prison and would you believe it i went out of the gates with other inmates and followed them straight into the pub for a celebration drink at being out and free

i thought i would be ok just having 1 drink with them

i know i made my promises of changing but 1 drink wouldnt cause that much harm and the fact i am now free anyone would understand it wouldn't they ?

i shown up home at about 11 pm that night drunk as a lord, my kids had banners out welcome home daddy they had beleived my letters to them they wanted to see there sober daddy back with them
i broke there hearts that night big time as i stumbled in drunk as a skunk and when they cried i told them off for being unreasonable about me having just one drink on my day of freedom

anyway all my promised counted for nothing, being in prison counted for nothing as i carried on drinking and ended up going futher and futher down to the point i lost custody of my younger kids to socail services who removed them from our care
my ex wife at this time was also drinking like i was and we were having wars at home it was certainly not a loving home it once was hence we lost our kids

3 more years of this madness carried on with trips to prison for me for short lock ups for drunkeness etc

i ended up in a hostel for drug and alcohol and ex offenders who have no home end up in losing everything i had ever had in my life, i had a business, i had a large bank account, i had a family i had a home
all gone and this is where i ended up in the pits of despair but still clinging on to that bottle

so i had to rebuild my life from the bottom up which i can see now is the best thing that could of ever happend to me, i threw myself into aa and in next to no time things started to work out for me

within 3 months i had been given a nice flat to live in by a charity housing organisation then i ended up getting a job thanks to a friend in aa who helped open up a door of opportunity for me in that area
then after 6 months my older 2 kids could see dad was sober living and they came to live with me in my 2 bedroom flat then we put in for the return of my younger kids and after 12 months i was able to get my kids back

so in just 12 short months my life had turned right around all thanks to aa and those wonderful people who gave me so much help

i was working again, my kids back and because we were living in such a small place the social workers helped us to get a bigger house to rent

hence i have noting but 100% gratitude for aa as i never in my life ever belived i would ever see my kids again let along be given a chance to be a father again

so i hope all goods things come your way my friend as our lives can be turned around and if i can help you in anyway please feel free to ask

good luck to you
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Roberth » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:40 am

Hello Taylor and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am Los Angeles area alcoholic. What you will find in AA is empathy, an understanding of what you are going through by people that have already gone through it. Although I have not been incarcerated for more than a few days I know many that have that have long-term sobriety that started in prison.
Drop me an instant message if you feel like talking. There’s a saying in AA “that we have a wrench for every nut.” My wrench was another Veteran.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:33 am

Stay busy, but not hide in your work because stinking thinking can creep up when we least expect it. Go to meetings and learn how to resign from the urges of addiction and I know in time you'll be ok and it'll grow on you. You are an example to others in AA and in recovery and once you have a firm foundation telling your story will provide hope because you lived in a bubble many don't know and or others who can relate and need to know it is possible.

Chin up and smile.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby marthamaree » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi and welcome. Alcohol makes us sick. We were sick and getting well. Not bad getting good.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby TaylorKoleDOTcom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Thank you for advice and sharing your stories (the first one had me tearing up). I am working writing, I attend a meeting every other Sunday. I want to be more involved, I'm simply focusing on saving one thousand dollars. After that I hope to take another baby step in acclimation.
TaylorKoleDOTcom
Forums Newcomer

Return to For the Newcomer