Triggers and avoiding them

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Triggers and avoiding them

Postby Caretaker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:06 pm

I was thinking about triggers. I use to love watching the bachelor shows but the clinking of the glasses and the way they look happy and content while drinking maybe I shouldn't watch the next season.

What are triggers you use to do but now stay away from in order not to be tempted to drink?
Caretaker
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Triggers and avoiding them

Postby Chelle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi caretaker,
When I was newly sober just about every person, place and thing was a trigger for me. I felt like I could not do anything, including life without booze. I could not understand how people could speak at a meeting without being half lit. That was a huge "keep coming back" for me, I wanted to learn how they did it!

Today I don't call them triggers, I call them reminders. I think it all the way through. I do not romanticize the drink. In my body it is poison. It will destroy everything that I love the most. If even tempted, I get on the phone and call another alcoholic, read the big book book, post here or get myself to a meeting. Honestly, the thoughts are just fleeting now a days.

Those early days were rough. I hope that you have a phone list and you will use it. Build a sober network, get a sponsor and work those steps is what they told me. AA worked for me, and it can work for you too :D
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:07 pm

I use to love watching the bachelor shows but the clinking of the glasses and the way they look happy and content while drinking maybe I shouldn't watch the next season.

This reminded me of a part in the big book about moving pictures, it really demonstrates how long ago it was written -
Assuming we are spiritually fit, we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do. People have said we must not go where liquor is served; we must not have it in our homes; we must shun friends who drink; we must avoid moving pictures which show drinking scenes; we must not go into bars; our friends must hide their bottles if we go to their houses; we mustn't think or be reminded about alcohol at all.

At first I also found myself feeling a little jealous watching others drink, whether live or on TV. It helped that I knew it wasn’t really alcohol in those drinks, which I learned on a tour of a couple of TV film sets. But generally when we do the steps and enjoy life without it, seeing people drinking alcohol becomes no worse than seeing them drink orange juice. I can honestly say there is no activity I stay away from because it would make me want to drink, and every recovered alcoholic would probably say the same, but I don’t like being around drunk people. All the more reason to start those steps, as it says above - “Assuming we are spiritually fit, we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do.”
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Caretaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:39 am

Thank you both for responding. I think in my early days here I will avoid everything that is tempting. But I know long term I will be able to handle being around it and not doing it

I did get 3 phone numbers at my 1st meeting. And I have already reached out to one of them. She was very helpful.

I know this is like marathon and not a Sprint. I have to pace myself. I'm only 2 days sober. And that sounds a little depressing. Because I used to deny myself at least 3 days a week in order to be a functioning alcoholic. I wanna get some weeks under my belt and months. And years. One day at a time though .
Caretaker
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer