day one

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

day one

Postby marthamaree » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 pm

I am going to a meeting tomorrow but I am unable to go today. I would love to get through tonite without a drink and get to the meeting and be one day and one night sober.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Re: day one

Postby Chelle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Welcome Martha,
Congratulations on Day one. I am glad you are here. Feel free to ask any questions, and let us know how your first meeting goes. You are no longer alone
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Welcome here marthamaree. Nobody can say that staying sober doesn’t take some 'guts' at first, we must use our will power. The AA program will show you a better way, because will power does not work forever, and forcing ourselves to stay away from a drink is no fun at all. So hang in there, we all have been where you are, you are among friends here, and we all wish you the very best.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I would love to get through tonite without a drink and get to the meeting and be one day and one night sober.

The book alcoholics anonymous has some great stories we all can relate to. Here is the link to the 4th edition. You can read Bills Story, Dr Bobs Nightmare and 41 other stories.

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

Good luck.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby marthamaree » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Thank you. I feel encouraged.
I have made a chart with the times between 6pm and 11pm which are the hardest times not to drink and I will tick them off.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Initial does of recovery is a pain but once you get involved with the fellowship and start understanding and working the 12 steps with your sponsor, the obsession gets removed. And you get to experience all the promises we read in the book.

I love the 10th step promise.

We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby marthamaree » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 am

thanks everyone. I did it. I got through and so pleased. A nasty, legal thing happened today and I was pleased I hadn't had a drink. As I heard in the meeting (and I know it's true) "there is no problem so bad that a drink won't make it worse.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:12 am

Well done keep up the good work, please remember the permanent solution comes via the steps, looking around for someone to help you with that is a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks for letting us know, and best of luck with the legal matter.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:21 am

Hello marthamaree, welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Desperation is a great motivator for us alcoholics. Get you a meeting and raiser you hand when the ask for new-comers. . I will tell you what they told me when I was new and that is you will never have to take another drink if you don’t want to and even if you want to you won’t have to if you are will to do a few simple things. And for over 25 years that has been true for me and it all started with one day.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Return to For the Newcomer