Are Solitude and Isolation the same thing?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Are Solitude and Isolation the same thing?

Postby ThelonleyMango » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:06 am

I've heard someone tell me not to isolate myself, but finding solitude is fine. This kind of made me go :shock: :?: =geek
arent they the same thing? If im isolating myself while drinking doesnt that mean im in solitude as well?
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Are Solitude and Isolation the same thing?

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:12 pm

"Solitude" is a spiritual activity: alone for the sake of prayer and meditation.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Patsy© » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:42 pm

ThelonleyMango wrote:I've heard someone tell me not to isolate myself, but finding solitude is fine. This kind of made me go :shock: :?: =geek
arent they the same thing? If im isolating myself while drinking doesnt that mean im in solitude as well?

Hi Mango,

No, Solitude and Isolating are not the same thing at all. They are completely opposite...

Solitude is when we are enjoying alone time, being able to sit by ourselves, feeling comfortable in our own skin, while simply choosing to be at peace and serenity. There is nothing quite like being at one with ourself and the God of our own understanding, for the recovered alcoholic.

Isolating is when we insist on being alone and lonely, can't get out of our own way while living in our own head, feeling detached, anxious, depressed and not wanting to take the actions that would help us to get out of our head and change how we are feeling. There is nothing quite like the deep loneliness of an untreated alcoholic.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:48 pm

I've heard someone tell me not to isolate myself, but finding solitude is fine. This kind of made me go :shock: :?: =geek

Yes, the dictionary says so too. You are absolutely right.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:52 am

In order to be alone, I must find a quiet place and isolate myself from others. Finding a place to meditate can be a challenge sometimes :!: =biggrin
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

What's the point of doing a 90 And 90?

Postby ThelonleyMango » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 am

why not just go to meetings when one can? this 90 and 90 thing isnt even in the literature. Whats the point of a 90 and 90?
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Re: What's the point of doing a 90 And 90?

Postby positrac » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:16 pm

ThelonleyMango wrote:why not just go to meetings when one can? this 90 and 90 thing isnt even in the literature. Whats the point of a 90 and 90?

Suggestions are that we've modified events over time and I can tell you that world wide knowledge of 90 & 90 and it works. What have to got to lose?
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:46 am

Hello Mango. We seem to get hung up on words a lot in AA. Words mean different things to people than they do to me. I was told to get a dictionary and start looking up words. I went so far as getting a 1939 copyright dictionary so I would know what they meant when the Big Book was written. What I learned was that the meaning lot of words weren’t what I thought they meant.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Bcarolan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:07 am

Solitude is actively sought where as isolation is active avoidance (usually).
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life...
Bcarolan
Forums Newcomer

Postby JohnDaniels » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 am

ThelonleyMango wrote:I've heard someone tell me not to isolate myself, but finding solitude is fine. This kind of made me go :shock: :?: =geek

So when you found out the answer, what did you do?
JohnDaniels
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:22 pm

Bcarolan wrote:Solitude is actively sought where as isolation is active avoidance (usually).

Yes...

Like the difference of using an umbrella for a pleasurable gentle rain
vs
Slamming the door, locking 10 locks and turning off the light to cower under the covers.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 am

From the book "Came to Believe," page 109 -

Very Precious Thing

There are two sides of man's being alone. In our language, loneliness expresses the pain of being alone. Solitude expresses the glory of being alone. 

What happens to us in A.A. that makes it possible for us, not only to endure, but to enjoy moments of solitude? What changes our loneliness to solitude?  

The love and understanding we find in A.A. are a protective curtain between ourselves and the aching aloneness of our drinking days. The first few weeks, some of us spend most of our time in an A.A. club talking with others. Then it becomes evident that we must go to work and somehow meet the demands and responsibilities of our daily lives. We are afraid. Will the old loneliness hit us again when we are out of the actual presence of other A.A. members?  

Sooner or later, by practicing the principles of the Twelve Steps, we find in ourselves a very precious thing, something inside that we can be comfortable with regardless of whether we are at home by ourselves or anywhere else that life takes us.  

A.A. members are not emotional cripples who need someone to hold their hands every moment of the day and night to prevent their falling. We grow up with the help of God, as we understand Him, and the fellowship of the group, and by applying the Twelve Steps to our lives.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby clouds » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:03 am

I live in a really densly populated urban area of apartments, kids playing in the streets and lots of shops nearby. Its full of life and sounds, I enjoy it. On the weekend we drove up the mountain and stopped to look at the cows, the hills, trees and a lake.
I really enjoyed that isolation and solitude. It gave me a spiritual lift at the same time. It was beautiful in the way being alone in nature sometimes can do.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Caretaker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:28 am

I think the outward appearance of it looks the same but the motivation of the heart is the difference. What in your heart is motivating the action? Is it yo find peace with God? That's solitude. Is it to hide from the world? That's isolation.

Good luck on your journey. Keep seeking:)
Caretaker
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer