Am I an alcoholic or not?!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Am I an alcoholic or not?!

Postby Brock » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 pm

It's so important in just the 2nd and 3rd chapters it's mentioned 5 times -” We are without defense against the first drink...There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove...They had said that though I did raise a defense, it would one day give way before some trivial reason for having a drink...The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense.” Then further demonstrated in the stories of the car salesman and the accountant.

And still in meetings where I live, some very well meaning folks have a habit of saying loudly - “it's the first one that get's you drunk, just stay away from that first drink,” without bothering to tell anyone, how they will get the power to stay away.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Brock wrote:It's so important in just the 2nd and 3rd chapters it's mentioned 5 times -” We are without defense against the first drink...There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove...They had said that though I did raise a defense, it would one day give way before some trivial reason for having a drink...The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense.” Then further demonstrated in the stories of the car salesman and the accountant.

And still in meetings where I live, some very well meaning folks have a habit of saying loudly - “it's the first one that get's you drunk, just stay away from that first drink,” without bothering to tell anyone, how they will get the power to stay away.

How very fortunate I am that when I got to AA, I had the gift of desperation. Those wonderful AA members never told me what to do, how to do it, or when to do it. They simply shared their own Experience, Strength and Hope and allowed me to listen, take it in and process it until I got the First Step. That is the only step that needs to be done perfectly and I needed to have the first step before moving on to how I would get the power to stay away, which is Step 2.

The 12 steps are in order for a vital reason, they build on one another....one step at a time.

At our AA meetings face to face, we share the following... "Its the first drink that gets you drunk"...for one vital reason, because its the truth.

Apparently AA thinks its true also, because its part of the First Question in the Twelve questions at aa.org:

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-fo ... can-answer

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.

1. Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?
Most of us in A.A. made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to A.A.
A.A. said: "Just try not to drink today." (If you do not drink today, you cannot get drunk today.)

It also says the following in that same link from aa.org:

A.A. does not promise to solve your life's problems. But we can show you how we are learning to live without drinking "one day at a time." We stay away from that "first drink." If there is no first one, there cannot be a tenth one. And when we got rid of alcohol, we found that life became much more manageable.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Give him an account of the struggles you made to stop. Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism. If he is alcoholic, he will understand you at once. He will match you mental inconsistencies with some of his own.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer