7 symptoms of addiction?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

7 symptoms of addiction?

Postby ThelonleyMango » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:56 pm

I've heard much talk about the 7 symptoms, everyone I speak with only happens to know 2 or one of the 2.. does anyone know all 7?
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Re: 7 symptoms of addiction?

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 pm

i need to know only 1. thats my mind. it deceived me into drinking all the time until I got convinced that I am done and I will go through the reminder of the 12 steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ThelonleyMango » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

so.. you dont know the other 7?
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Cristy99 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 pm

My 7 symptoms:

Make up excuses to drink
Use any old excuse to drink
Need it to feel normal
Need it to function
It takes priority over everything else
Would rather die than go without
Just call me Cleopatra, man, 'cause I'm the queen of denial!!!

16 months and counting. Glad I'm not Cleopatra anymore. I fancy myself as more of a Marilyn Monroe now. :lol:
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Good morning Mango :D Google have become my best friend :lol: This is what Google says :

Change in behaviour
Change in friends
Occupational issues (work / school performance drops)
Legal issues
Family strain
Physical changes
Personality changes

Have an awesome day. If you need any assistance please feel free to PM me direct?

Love and Light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:44 am

ThelonleyMango wrote:so.. you dont know the other 7?

I would suggest that you contact a Rehab or Detox, they can probably tell you many more than just 7 symptoms of Addiction.

However, THIS site is Alcoholics Anonymous and what we alcoholics have is a 3 fold illness...Mental, Physical, and Spiritual.

Mental.....I had an obsession of the mind (a thought that overcomes all other thoughts) that insured that I would take the first drink.

Physical.....Once I put one drink of alcohol into my body, it set up a physical compulsion for MORE, and I would continue to drink against my will, until I was drunk, sick and out of control again.

Spiritual..... I was brought up with pretty good values that I had been taught from a very early age. When I crossed that invisible line into alcoholism I just kept moving my own values down, thinking things, saying things, and doing things that I never ever thought I was capable of, until my own value system became unrecognizable even to myself, and I would do whatever I needed to do.....just to get a drink, because I had lost the ability to choose to NOT drink.

For this alcoholic, that is alcoholism!
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Return to For the Newcomer