Tradion 11 violation! Or not

For recovery discussion

Tradion 11 violation! Or not

Postby lynnjulie570 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am

So I live in Massachusetts and I just saw on the television during my morning news a commercial for AAA I am quite disturbed by thus it is not like AA needs to be promoted and it is totally against our traditions what is going on that they put a commercial out and who paid for it? This is very upsetting it goes against our traditions and if we start changing the traditions are making allowances for things like this what will happen as they say it will fold from inside this is not OK does anyone else agree with me? I attached the link below to the video I took of the commercial it is not needed in this day and age and they didn't do it 50 years ago when the fellowship was much fewer! the name Alcoholics Anonymous is everywhere!
I can send you the video of commercial if you want...
lynnjulie570
Forums Newcomer

Re: Tradion 11 violation! Or not

Postby PaigeB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:31 am

GSO creates public service announcements, PSAs, but I have never seen one. I see them for Alanon a lot though.

Feel free to contact the General Service Office to discuss how we let people know AA is alive and well without promoting it!
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/communic ... -york-city
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:39 am

Welcome and thanks for writing about what you saw. The topic was moved to 'Discussions' for more viability, I expect that this will be of interest to members here. However please no links, our policy on that is here - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23995
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:04 am

lynnjulie570 wrote:So I live in Massachusetts and I just saw on the television during my morning news a commercial for AAA I am quite disturbed by thus it is not like AA needs to be promoted and it is totally against our traditions what is going on that they put a commercial out and who paid for it? This is very upsetting it goes against our traditions and if we start changing the traditions are making allowances for things like this what will happen as they say it will fold from inside this is not OK does anyone else agree with me? I attached the link below to the video I took of the commercial it is not needed in this day and age and they didn't do it 50 years ago when the fellowship was much fewer! the name Alcoholics Anonymous is everywhere!

Hi Lynnjulie

I would suggest reading the following pamphlets.

https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/search/ ... n-workbook

https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/mg-7_publicinfo.pdf

AA has been using PSA announcements for many many years. I too live in Massachusetts and if you need further information on why PSA announcements are vital for Alcoholics Anonymous and do not break any of the AA Traditions... please call the following:

AA Central Service
12 Channel St. Suite 604
Boston, MA 02210

Any questions on how A.A. works-give us a call @ 617-426-9444 Mon-Fri 9-9; Sat/Sun/Hol. 12-9
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:45 pm

AA PSAs are not new. My Area has been doing them - railway-station adverts, etc. So long as the anonymity of the individual AA member is kept out of it, there's no problem. I was once the chair of a Public Information committee. I was contacted by a press reporter who did an article in the local paper. Names weren't used, I just talked about what AA is. That's the role of PI.

Some members do have a problem with Public Information. They perhaps need to realise that AA itself is not a secret society like the Freemasons.

Why does it disturb you?
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby desypete » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Blue Moon wrote:AA PSAs are not new. My Area has been doing them - railway-station adverts, etc. So long as the anonymity of the individual AA member is kept out of it, there's no problem. I was once the chair of a Public Information committee. I was contacted by a press reporter who did an article in the local paper. Names weren't used, I just talked about what AA is. That's the role of PI.

Some members do have a problem with Public Information. They perhaps need to realise that AA itself is not a secret society like the Freemasons.

Why does it disturb you?

i agree we are not an invisible organisation. we put posters out all over our town be it drs surgery's, library, courts, police staions etc anywhere we can were the public are as we need to keep aa out there as a way out for people

my only concern with tv ads would be the price they might have to pay ? but i wonder if they have managed to get some free air time as a charity ?
as i dont think most inter groups would support paying out high figures to get some air time of advertising
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:14 pm

free air time as a charity ?

I think regular TV (not cable) is mandated somehow to do x-number of PSA's for free each year. So all AA has to do is ask and wait for the free air time to come up on the schedule.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:04 am

Hello lynnjulie570, my name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. This debate has been going on since the 1939 when The Plains Dealer first printed the columns about AA. PSAs now are all conference approved and fall under the General Service Public Information Committee
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby JohnDaniels » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 pm

lynnjulie570 wrote:So I live in Massachusetts and I just saw on the television during my morning news a commercial for AAA I am quite disturbed by thus it is not like AA needs to be promoted and it is totally against our traditions what is going on that they put a commercial out and who paid for it? This is very upsetting it goes against our traditions and if we start changing the traditions are making allowances for things like this what will happen as they say it will fold from inside this is not OK does anyone else agree with me? I attached the link below to the video I took of the commercial it is not needed in this day and age and they didn't do it 50 years ago when the fellowship was much fewer! the name Alcoholics Anonymous is everywhere!

lynnjulie570,

Welcome to e-AA and thank you for your post.

When a new group is started and registered with AA, the group will receive a package. Part of the package contains Public Information and Cooperation with the Professional Community. It contains information on how to receive AA Public Service Announcements such as Alcoholics Anonymous Audios and Videos for television and radio stations to play as a public service, played without charge.

Concerning TV Public Service Commercials, laws have changed over the years with government deregulation. In my first few years in AA, television and radio stations were required by the Federal Communications Commission to allocate a certain amount of time to public service. Some of that has changed. When I did PI Service in my early sobriety I don't remember there being any big hassles or long forms for getting tv and radio stations to play the AA Service Commercials. The stations I dealt with were pleased to run the AA Service commercials. There is an AA Catalog from AA World Services that you can order TV and Radio Public Service Announcements for about $5 or $10 dollars each. It's all conference approved.

In recent years the FCC has modified it's rules covering Public Service that allows stations to set their own standards on what constitutes proper fulfillment of their public service programming. This has not reduced the number of hours of public service announcements, just the manner in which the station chooses to show them in the taste the station prefers.

I have host of Public Service Commercials in our AA Archives. Viewing and listening them from 40 years ago, then watching and listening to todays Public Service Commercials, they are done with as much respect and taste today as they were back then.

Thanks again. Have a great day!
JohnDaniels
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions