Why is the seventh tradition so important to/for the group?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Why is the seventh tradition so important to/for the group?

Postby ThelonleyMango » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Most of the times i've asked about the 7th tradition, they tell me to read the grapevine thing that bill wrote in 1947 or something.
I've read it and im not quite certain I truly understand what it's trying to say. Something about not accepting donations? why not? if it helps the group then it helps the alcoholics right? And why is it so important to/for the group? :|
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Why is the seventh tradition so important to/for the gro

Postby Brock » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Welcome to e-AA. What you have asked is a question quite well covered in the 7th tradition, and there is a large collection of history based articles on the web, going back to Bill trying to get money from John D Rockefeller. He was helped by him a bit but not as much as he hoped and expected. He wasn't happy about this, but in the end when it was seen how AA would do better without this money, Bill Wilson wrote - “John D. Rockefeller Jr. saved us from the perils of property management and professionalism. He couldn’t have done more.”

Being self supporting with one primary purpose, and not allowing the problems that follow accepting donations to lead it astray, is an important feature of the fellowship. Perhaps you will get better explanations from others, but it's late where I live and I just wanted to welcome you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ThelonleyMango » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:00 pm

How nice of you to have taken the time.
Thank you so much!:)
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 am

It's vital for the group to remain self-supporting. Just a cursory glance at politics shows what happens to democracy when other people's money gets involved. By declining outside contributions, we decline outside influence.

However, there's more to the Tradition. I suggest you read the long-form, at the back of the Big Book. The AA Group should not accumulate funds which have no stated purpose, beyond a prudent reserve.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Roberth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:39 am

Hello Mango my name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles alcoholic. It important to AA as a whole as well to keep outside influences away.

Just a bit of history the 7th use to be “ put in what you can and take what you need”…. But those days are long gone.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Cristy99 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi mango!!! Glad you are here!!!

Blue Moon wrote:
By declining outside contributions, we decline outside influence.

It seems that more often than not, if a person donates money to a cause they expect to be able to say what is done, how things are to go, and demand certain favors. Kind of like when a really wealthy person donates a ton of money to a politician, the politician works to get special favors done for the rich guy.

AA founders wanted the sole purpose of AA to be helping alcoholics, not being distracted or side-railed by any other issues, as stated in traditions 5 and 6.

A genius set up if you ask me. =biggrin

Have a great evening!!!
Cristy
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer