Another fallen soul

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Another fallen soul

Postby nomorealcohol » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:47 am

Hai you all.
My name is Bob. I've been drinking since my teenage years.
Now I'm 37, finally decided to do something about my drinking. Iv become too tired and to manage drinking problem. The cycle keep repeating. Every time I'm drunk like a skunk I promised to my self that it never gonna happened again. It never stop and really frustrating. The emotional roller coaster is so depressing. Enough said, I'm starting my 12 steps now so wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.
nomorealcohol
Forums Newcomer

Re: Another fallen soul

Postby Brock » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:21 am

Welcome to e-AA Bob.

I am very happy to see you talking about steps already, we often have to try talking new people into doing that, the steps look a bit strange and even a little frighting.

When I first came to AA I was reading ahead to numbers five and nine, and thinking crap I really don't want to do that. But I found they are easier than they look, and numbered 1 to 12 for a reason. To me it looks like you have #1 covered, and most people who go to meetings or come to sites like this usually do. So we go to #2, and I bet you have decided to stop in the past and failed, so you know your own power won't work, on to #3 and don't get tied up trying to do that completely, it's a decision to try more than anything else. Then when 4 & 5 are done, as our book says, most of us have then found an answer and the urge to drink is pretty well gone.

I found listening to AA speakers very helpful, still listen sometimes. If you go to you tube and type in 'AA Chris R,' you find my favorite, but he is not everybody's, a more gentle speaker like Clancy I, or Bob D, might be your thing, they are many to choose from, all very helpful.

You can't go wrong with this program, and if you would like to ask any questions here, or just keep us in touch with your progress, it helps us and we enjoy reading about how others are going, all the best to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:09 am

I hope you have found someone who has been through the 12 Steps with a sponsor and is willing to sponsor you through them. I really needed a guide to find my Guide.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am

I'm starting my 12 steps now so wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

Awesome. Way to go!
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby JohnDaniels » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:41 pm

nomorealcohol wrote:Hai you all.
Now I'm 37, finally decided to do something about my drinking. Iv become too tired and to manage drinking problem. The cycle keep repeating. Every time I'm drunk like a skunk I promised to my self that it never gonna happened again. It never stop and really frustrating. The emotional roller coaster is so depressing. Enough said, I'm starting my 12 steps now so wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

Welcome home Bob!

I believe you truly have the desire to stop drinking that's mentioned in AA. I'm pleased to hear you are taking the actions now by getting right into the 12 Steps. AA is a program of action. The actions taught to us in this program become habit, then the habits become a way of life. In short order people in your life will notice the look of happiness on your face and an aura of serenity about you.
Just out of curiosity, are you using the Big Book or the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions book? If you don't have them yet you can find them Online to read from.

Brock has offered some excellent advice in listening to AA Speakers on youtube.

Keep coming back here to share what ever is on your mind. Stay close. If you have anything you want to talk about or ask about, this is the place. There's a wealth of experience, knowledge, and wisdom on the boards here.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress.

You're going to fit right in here!

Again, welcome home
JohnDaniels
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:38 pm

nomorealcohol wrote:Hai you all.

Hi Bob and welcome to e-aa. Well done on taking your life back! Jip, I relate to the promising myself that I was never going to drink again after a decent cession and waking up feeling horribly ill, nauseous and with a massive hangover, just to do the same thing a day or two later.
It sounds like you've already taken care of step 1 so id say move straight into step 2 whilst reading Doctor's Opinion from which you will learn that alcoholism is actually an allergy as well as an obsession of the mind/spiritual malady - which is why we couldn't stop drinking once we had that first drink so being unable to stop on your own is nothing to be ashamed of or feel guilty about. Each and every alcoholic - on this forum as well as in the rooms have / had exactly the same illness.

Working the steps properly and thoroughly is really not so difficult. Just remember to have an open mind, be honest to yourself and others and don't pick up that first drink. Rather phone or contact another member with some decent sobriety if the urge to drink come - just to take your mind off the thought to drink for a few minutes or do an activity which you didn't do with a glass in the hand for half an hour or so. Being outside seems to "settle" me pretty quickly - whether it is the fresh air, the gorgeous colors, the sound of Creation ... I wouldn't know but it works for me.

Anyways ... congratulations once again. It works if you work it and if I could do it, so can you.
Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 am

In the beginning it is easier said than done with regards to the urges and stinking thinking of our past lives drinking. I welcome you and I hope you will keep coming back as you put a lot of effort into your drinking and so the same enthusiasms should be used to get cleaned up. Remember misery is optional and so your work is cut out for you. Being sober is not all doom and gloom as you just have to get through some rough patches and then live will change for the better. I can say my worst days sober were far easier than puking and having massive headaches due to my hangover, and I didn't swear I'd not do it again either as I was living life sober and it was hard and yet rewarding to do it without any remorse or need for a drink.

We are here to assist and to coach and sometimes we love and other times (I) might scold as I know your pain as we all do in our own ways. I remember my last drunk and I keep it handy as I never need to go back and neither do you.

Go seize the day.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book