Speaker Meeting: Please Join Us Sunday 22nd January !

Other Resources and Places within the E-AA Group and within AA.org

Speaker Meeting: Please Join Us Sunday 22nd January !

Postby Jojo2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:47 am

Sunday 22nd January: Speaker Meeting !

An Invitation to All !

Please join us in the Chat Room venue of e-AA for two great speakers this week.

January 22nd: Sunday @ 3:00 PM EST

Ian S. will be our speaker

All Welcome !

To register for the chat room please link to:
http://www.e-aa.org/chat_register.php

If you are interested in sharing your story with us, please contact:
http://www.e-aa.org/chat_help.php

January 24th (Tuesday) @ 5:00 PM EST Paige will be our speaker
Jojo2
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Speaker Meeting: Please Join Us Sunday 22nd January !

Postby Jojo2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:54 am

Look forward to seeing you later !

http://www.e-aa.org/chat.php

Meeting is at 3pm EST

Room open 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after Meeting for open chat

Kind Regards
Jojo2
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:42 pm

I survived! :)
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Jojo2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Thank you so much, Ian.

Lovely Meeting today.

You are an inspirational speaker and your visit was much appreciated by all present.

Thank you again for giving so generously of your time.
Jojo2
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:09 pm

No problem, Jo. Any time.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Noels » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:38 am

aaah I would have loved to hear that share but I'm seriously confused between / with our times and your times. Sorry I missed it Blue :(
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:29 am

Yes it can be confusing Noels. They tend to put the time up as EST, which is Eastern Standard Time, South Africa is 7 hours ahead of EST, so the meeting for you would start at 10 pm.

What I wish Jojo, (or anybody else), would explain a little further is how the meeting works. It is quite well explained from the link given regarding decorum expected and how to register, but since the forums for example 'suffers' from unused registrations, I did not want to register without knowing a little more, perhaps others are in the same boat and have similar questions.

Am I right in assuming that when so and so is listed as the speaker, they are actually typing out their “speech,” others may contribute when the chair announces open chat and so forth, but it's all typing. I get confused with the word 'speaker,' and expect to hear the persons voice, maybe I will, and I know Noels said she would have loved to “hear” it as well, sounds dumb but I really don't know.

If I can't hear the voice, then it does not seem much different from a good debate in the forums, where someone can start a topic and everybody can put in their two cents worth, and without having to wait on approval to do so. Perhaps if someone just explained the advantage of chat V's the discussion forums. Thanks for any input.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Barbara D. » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:33 am

I really enjoyed hearing you share, Ian! Now I know why you have a Blue Moon avatar in Forums. On the rare occasions when I can clear my mind and reach out to my HP, I am a speck flying through the cosmos to Earth and zero down to a sun sparkle in a stream in a forest. Thanks again. :D
Barbara D.
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 am

OK my main question answered, Barbara “enjoyed hearing you share,” so now I know!
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:10 pm

It is all typing.

Speaker types for a period of time, longer than a usual share without interruption. At the end of that, I am confused lol. Is it a Q & A? Or is it a few typed, non interrupted, shares post-speaker.

Since I am speaking tomorrow, I hope I get the time and format right LOL. "See" you all there!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Blue Moon wrote:I survived! :)

Thanks for sharing that! I speak tomorrow and it is necessary ES&H for me!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Oh-kay, that sounds complicated? I type more than 120 words per minute but what about others who use 2 fingers? How long is the meeting? Some more info will be greatly appreciated please? Thanks Brock :D xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Like all AA meetings you have never been to - show up and see what happens LOL :mrgreen:

BTW - I am not sure if I can read 120 mords a minute... and I do a lot of typos, so this ought to be fun!
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Jojo2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Brock wrote:Yes it can be confusing

What I wish Jojo, (or anybody else), would explain a little further is how the meeting works. It is quite well explained from the link given regarding decorum expected and how to register, but since the forums for example 'suffers' from unused registrations, I did not want to register without knowing a little more.

Am I right in assuming that when so and so is listed as the speaker, they are actually typing out their “speech,” others may contribute when the chair announces open chat and so forth, but it's all typing.

Perhaps if someone just explained the advantage of chat V's the discussion forums. Thanks for any input.

Thank you Brock. We are always delighted to explain how the Chat Venue works. Chat is one of the three key venues of e-AA; the other two being Forums and Email Meetings.
Not sure about 'advantages' as such. All 3 venues work differently and suit different needs. Personally, I like all 3, but service work keeps me busy in the other two, not necessarily due to any preference on my part. For me, the Forum is my quiet place to escape all the white noise elsewhere when time permits. I benefit enormously from reading here and have done so for several years now. I am still nervous about contributing and putting something in the wrong place perhaps. Silly, isn't it? We only learn by doing. It's good to have an opportunity to say thank you to all over here for so much readily available support, wit and wisdom over the years.

Back to chat format:

The essential difference is that both Forums and Email Meetings are available 24/7 for all to contribute when convenient.

Chat Meetings are in 'real time' with open chat before and after and the format replicates face to face in as much as we are able.

We have no audio option, just typing.

There is generally a reading and people share in turn without interruption, raising their hand to share by typing !! and typing End when they finish. We have at least two meetings each day, morning and evening for EST. I am actually five hours ahead in the UK, but thinking in EST now comes naturally to me. Our Meeting Schedule is helpful in calculating your own time zone ~ and you only need to do this once to know what times our meetings are for your schedule.
http://www.e-aa.org/chat/eaa_chat_schedule_full.php
The format and reading for each meeting is available on the Schedule. You will find the individual links to the right of each meeting.
This facility and many other resources / contact links on our Home Page proves beneficial to all 24/7. Feel free to pop in and familiarise yourselves with what is on offer !

Speaker Meetings are slightly different in that, following the usual introduction, the Guest Speaker has the floor for as much of the hour as they wish. They may be sharing their story, experience, strength and hope or speaking on one of the Steps or Traditions. The Chair posts the usual format and introduces the speaker, giving them the floor.
The majority type their story in advance and copy and paste into the room during the meeting. Some arrange a time to come in to practise prior to the meeting, to time their story etc. Others prefer to have one of the committee do the copying and pasting for them. I am always delighted to be asked. Occasionally, people opt to type in real time. There is no pressure and much flexibility to ensure all are comfortable.

When the speaker has finished, there is generally time for questions/ comments and sometimes brief shares.

All are assured of a warm welcome and we do our best to accommodate all requirements. I do hope this answers some of your questions. I am so pleased you asked. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further information or any assistance with registration.

We look forward to seeing you soon !

Warm Wishes

Jojo
Jojo2
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Jojo2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Noels wrote:Oh-kay, that sounds complicated? I type more than 120 words per minute but what about others who use 2 fingers? How long is the meeting? Some more info will be greatly appreciated please? Thanks Brock :D xxx

Hi Noels

Nothing complicated about chat ~ although everything is complicated if no-one takes the time to explain it to you. It all falls into place and people are very accommodating and patient with those of us who are not speed typists. I can speed read better than type. I actually remember having no clue where to type when I first visited... and if you had told me I would feel comfortable using a chat room, I would have run a mile. I sometimes wish I had, but that's a whole different story :D

Seems like the late meeting would be midnight for you, but perhaps you can join us for the 8am EST weekday/ 9am EST Saturday sometime? I think this might be mid afternoon for you.

If anyone would like to speak and our meeting times simply do not fit, I am sure we could reach a mutually convenient arrangement.

Similarly, we are always open to suggestions regarding the schedule. Let us know your preferred meeting times and we'll do our best to accommodate.

You will find our Chat Coordinator, Krys, most approachable and helpful.

Contact us anytime via the chat help form: http://www.e-aa.org/chat_help.php

Thanks to all for making the Forums such a welcoming venue to visit.

We look forward to welcoming you to chat very soon.

Warm Wishes

Jojo
Jojo2
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Other Places within the E-AA Group