Ahoy-hoy

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Ahoy-hoy

Postby bunnings_snag » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:17 am

Hey,

My name's Sam, I'm from Australia, and I've been sober since the 11th of June 2015. I have crippling social anxiety and don't often feel comfortable in big meetings so I thought I'd try doing things online in addition to my usual comings and goings.

Sobriety has given me back my mind; however, in double-edged sword tradition, my brain keeps whirring away with god-knows-what until about 4am (making up for lost time?), so I figure I could turn that negative into a positive and use my late-night time constructively by reading through this board and trading helpful advice with others.

Great to be here!
bunnings_snag
Forums Newcomer

Re: Ahoy-hoy

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:35 am

Welcome Sam!
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Troy M. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:37 am

Welcome Sam!
Troy M.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:42 am

Welcome to e-AA Sam. Yes we have a good forum here, it gets a little heated sometimes depending on the subject, but then it's a bunch of alcoholics, and most people myself included report having learned as much or more here than we did in 'normal' meetings.

The social anxiety and also brain that never stops seem quite common amongst us, the more time I have spent on certain aspects of the program the less anxious I have felt, and that brain has been quieted down to a large extent. Someone here put me onto two books by Eckart Tolle, The Power of Now and A New Earth, both of which I have managed to find free written and spoken versions of on the internet. I couldn't really get what he was saying by reading or listening only, so I listened and read along at the same time. This has made it possible to actually 'switch off' that constant thinking sometimes, and live more in the present.

Good to have you here.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:05 pm

bunnings_snag wrote:Hey,

My name's Sam, I'm from Australia, and I've been sober since the 11th of June 2015. I have crippling social anxiety and don't often feel comfortable in big meetings so I thought I'd try doing things online in addition to my usual comings and goings.

Sobriety has given me back my mind; however, in double-edged sword tradition, my brain keeps whirring away with god-knows-what until about 4am (making up for lost time?), so I figure I could turn that negative into a positive and use my late-night time constructively by reading through this board and trading helpful advice with others.

Great to be here!

Welcome Sam! I am also a late night person and found online AA to fill those hours when it would be rude to call someone just to chat, lol. I have been here nearly everyday since then - it help me fill the "daily maintenance" needs of our program.

For late night brain run - I have heard from brain experts in books that the mind can only hold one thought. So I figured I would make it a good one! I started by repeating the Serenity prayer over and over and then on memorizing the 12 Steps... if I really had problems falling asleep, I might recite the How It Works portion up to the a), b), c) part! Also I had to be careful of caffeine after 4pm. And I looked into some over the counter sleep stuff like melatonin. Things got better as I progressed through the Steps of this program with my sponsor. I now do a 10th Step before I lay down and do 11th Step after I am tucked in. I can tell you that now, I can barely make it through prayer & meditation before I fall asleep. My sponsor said not to worry, it is because now I have a clean mind after the 4th & 5th and doing a 10th Step. Good sleeping is a product of good living!

Get a sponsor and get to working the Steps of this program! Happy 24!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Welcome, Sam! We are glad to have you here. Im happy that you aren't giving up the face to face meetings in addition to e-aa. The fellowship is so important to me.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby bunnings_snag » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:17 am

Thank you everyone! Yeah I'd never give up the meetings, I just spin out at night and I find it hard to call anyone at the best of times. I have a service position in my homegroup which keeps me socially active but I really am more comfortable sharing from behind a keyboard.

I'll check out the books that were recommended. I have some downtime during the day at the moment so I might as well use it constructively when I'm too spun out to go outside.

As for sleep, 10th and 11th step is good advice that I need to follow more often. Naturally I've had doctors suggest temazepam but eh, you know, been there done that and it's PROBABLY not the best idea to give benzos to someone with a history of substance issues so I'd much rather put pen to paper instead. As per usual, there are fantastic sustainable, healthy answers to my problems right in front of me :) Funny how that works!
bunnings_snag
Forums Newcomer

Return to Guest Book