New to the forum

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

New to the forum

Postby Bambi » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi

I've just come across the forum, I'm an alcoholic and have been to my first AA meeting today which was great. I find that night times (and managing to go to sleep!) are a big struggle for me without alcohol so I'm going to have a good browse through everything on here and hope to stay on track with sobriety.
Bambi
Forums Newcomer

Re: New to the forum

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:28 pm

Welcome Bambi
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Welcome, Bambi! I'm so glad you enjoyed your first meeting. I struggled with sleep in the beginning having passed out every night rather than falling asleep. It's not uncommon. Browsing around here should keep you busy for awhile! You might also try reading our basic text, "Alcoholics Anonymous" also known as the Big Book. Some say reading this book helped them fall asleep. (It was written something like 80 years ago and its a little dry.) (No pun intended). But seriously, its a book that have saved millions of lives. You can google it and read it online for free or you can purchase a copy at most meetings.

These boards tend to be pretty quiet on weekends. But I'm sure others will along shortly to greet you.

Wishing you well.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:56 am

As we work the 12 steps of AA, the noise in the head quietens downs and then we get to sleep well. That is one of the criterion you could use to check if you are working the steps effectively. Early on you may want to exercise to help yourself physically get better, in turn it could help you sleep.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:08 pm

It took a long time for the noise in my head to go quiet... Keep coming back here and I am up late at night (still) but I managed to get through the nights in early sobriety and so can you. I found that I could do online AA anytime of the day. AND no matter where I lived, every hour on the hour AA's were gathering to say a prayer and begin or close a meeting.

I was never alone. I am in Spirit with the Fellowship 24/7/365!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi Bambi and welcome.

Glad you found the forums and that you liked your first AA meeting!

I can relate to having sleep problems, especially when I first got sober. I was used to drinking enough to knock me out every night so learning to live without alcohol was a challenge. My ESH is that things did get better each day I remained sober. Going to lots and lots of meetings, listening to other AA members share their ESH about overcoming their drinking and living problems gave me hope, helped me to feel more "okay" about me, and the more "okay" I became with me, the easier it was to "let go" of stuff and fall asleep at night.

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:06 am

Welcome Bambi keep up the good work and meetings, find the one whose members you relate to best and call it your home group, it's easy just tell the person who chaired the meeting you would like to join that group. This gives us the opportunity to assist with the group 'chores,' and builds the feeling of fellowship and camaraderie.

Please keep in mind that the simple steps are the way to a permanent solution, by the time you are half way through you will suddenly realize that drinking does not really enter your thoughts anymore, and if by chance it does you will just smile and ignore it, because you will have tapped the power our program speaks about. A really cool life lies ahead, with more serenity than you have known, you can't go wrong with the AA program, and best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby clouds » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:29 am

Welcome to e-aa! :)
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby nichlous » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:09 am

Hi, am new to this forum and i hope that this will teach me more.
math homework help
nichlous
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 am

Glad you are here! Keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Doolittle » Wed May 31, 2017 3:30 pm

HI
I've been going to AA for a few months now. I am 8 weeks sober and going to rehab next week for 28 days. I have just found this forum so hope to gain added strength here. I have stopped many times over the last 15 years but never managed to stay stopped. I'm learning that being dry is not the same as being sober of mind. That is something I have yet to achieve.

x
Doolittle
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:19 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You are absolutely right. There are many in the fellowship like that. They haven't tapped into the power of the program yet. They rely on what people share in the meetings. If we realize that booze is not going to fix the problem and we are the problem, then we can lunch on vigorous course of action and then we could experience the promises the 10th step talks about.

We will be placed in the position of neutrality. Booze never comes to our mind. We just live a obsession free life, being useful to others.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby tyg » Wed May 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Welcome to the Forum Bambi and Doolittle!
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Return to Guest Book