Hi, I'm PhiH and I'm an Alcoholic

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Hi, I'm PhiH and I'm an Alcoholic

Postby PhilH » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:23 pm

I currently live somewhere that making a face to face meeting is impossible for me. I had a health scare in January when they found cancer. My surgery was in March. The doctor thinks they got it all. The however is part of my addiction was my problem with not knowing/waiting. I want answers now. So I decided hanging around AA more wouldn't be a bad thing right now. I've got more than a couple days in and by now I've learned when I need to shut up and listen and be grateful and right now is one of those situations. If I take it one day at a time and "go to meetings" I'll be okay.

When I joined one of the men in Pittsburgh that impressed me most came into the meeting and all he said was "My wife of 55 years died today. And just for today, it's okay." I wanted that so badly. I was willing to do anything to get it.

Just for today, it really is okay.

So I'm glad you exist. Thank you all for being here. :D
PhilH
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hi, I'm PhiH and I'm an Alcoholic

Postby Karl R » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi Phil.

Welcome to our board. Nice to have you here.

Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:28 pm

Welcome, Phil. So glad decided to get sober and found this forum.

There's a lot of experience, hope and strength shared in the tens of thousands of posts archived on this website, something for everyone. If you type a word or a phrase in the search box located in the upper right hand corner of this page, the search results will give you pages to click on for that topic.

For me, learning how to live life one day at a time has made my sober journey through it so much easier, richer, and far more enjoyable than the way I had been living my life while drinking. Thank you for sharing the story about the AA member who lost his wife of 55 years. One day at a time in the AA program we learn that if we follow the principles and maintain our spiritual condition, we get the gift of that thing called "grace under fire" and we can do anything, bear anything that comes our way.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 pm

Welcome Phil. I'm glad you found us. There is so much to be learned by listening. Thanks for being here.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Hey PhilH, welcome! I am so grateful to AA, it truly saved my life. I am glad that you are here. Together we can learn, grow, and help each other.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lace » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum. Is it active now?
Lace
Forums Newcomer

Postby Reborn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Hello Phil and lace welcome to e-aa...I am glad you found us.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Lace » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello reborn. Thank you for the welcome. I have 9 mos sober and am struggling with anxiety tonight. I've tried prayer and meditation without much success. I'm trying to do one day at a time but it's hard.
Lace
Forums Newcomer

Postby tyg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Do you know about the "Loners" of AA? Find the Loners/Internationalist" group here:http://oso-aa.org/loners/. They can offer vital information and guidance on recovery because of their experience getting well from this illness while home bound. Pamphlet for the home bound alcoholic: http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-83_SpecialNeeds.pdf

http://AA.org has a lot of audios, speakers, literature and history archives to browse through. Search "AA speakers" on YouTube. It will bring up hours of good listening. If interested in big Book study speakers google, Joe and Charlie or Mark H and Joe H Big Book Study.

In AA, it is suggested to treat our alcoholism with the program (the 12 Steps, not meetings) otherwise, "one day at a time" we get closer to the obsession coming back and overcoming all willpower & knowledge that leads the alcoholic right back to drinking.

Hope to be reading more of you.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby PhilH » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:49 am

Thanks to all of you for the welcome. When I got sober, I was in Pittsburgh and there were a lot of old timers around who knew Bill and Bob and they had good solid recovery. It must have "took" because the first thing I do when the going gets really bad in my life is hunt for a meeting. In this case, you guys are my meeting.

Glad to be here.
PhilH
Forums Newcomer

Return to Guest Book