All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Postby sherryy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi. I'm Sherry and I've stopped denying that I'm an alcoholic. I'm here for support because I have learned that I cannot do this on my own. It is a comfort to me to know that there are so many others who have walked this walk. I am asking for your help.
Peace,
Sherry
sherryy
Forums Newcomer

Re: New member

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Sherry

Welcome to the forum! Glad you decided to reach out for help with your drinking problem.

Over the last 80 years there have been millions of alcoholics who have overcome their drinking problems using AA's simple tools. AA has a pamphlet entitled "This is AA - An introduction to the AA recovery program" which will help answer some of your questions about how the program works. Most AA meetings have this pamphlet on their literature shelf or you can read it online by clicking on this link:

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-1_thisisaa1.pdf.

Here's an excerpt from the pamphlet on AA's 24 hour plan:

"For example, we take no pledges, we don’t say that we will “never” drink again. Instead, we try to follow what we in A.A. call the “24-hour plan.” We concentrate on keeping sober just the current twenty-four hours. We simply try to get through one day at a time without a drink. If we feel the urge for a drink, we neither yield nor resist. We merely put off taking that particular drink until tomorrow…."

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and we'll try to answer them.

Keep coming back….
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:02 am

Welcome Sherryy! I hope you can get to an AA meeting in your area real soon. Look for them by following the links from the General Service Website
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

You can read the Big Book online (the first 164 are our "Basic Text") here
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/read-the- ... traditions
The 12 & 12 is a more detailed look at the Step that saved my life and the Traditions that hold AA together.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Troy M. » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:22 am

Hi Sherry! Welcome. Let us know if we can help.
Troy M.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tyg » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:02 am

Hi Sherry...

Glad you are here and welcome to the Forum. When I first came to AA I believed I was an alcoholic but I didn't understand how vital doing the program was if I expected to obtain permanently sobriety. If you are ready to stop drinking for good, then here is how to get started:

Go to some meetings in your town
Ask another alcoholic to take you through the 12 steps asap
Make a meeting your home group, show up regularly, get into service there and participate in their group conscious meetings

Pamphlet on Sponsorship:http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf

Look forward to reading more of you. :)
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby Karl R » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi Sherry,

I'm Karl: an alcoholic.

My first sponsor asked me two questions.

1. Do you want to stop drinking?
2. Can you stop drinking, happily, on your own power.

You've hit on both of those.

If the answer to 1 is yes and the answer to 2 is no then you are in the right place.

Nice to have you with us.

regards,
Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby sherryy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:28 pm

It's been 7 days and I'm still sober. There are no meetings in my town but I am searching and hope to find the right one soon in a neighboring town. Until then I've signed up for a couple women's AA groups and I've received many emails of support. This is helping me tremendously. Today was a tough day. I wanted a drink so bad. But I got through it. One day at a time.
Thanks for being there for me.
Sherry
sherryy
Forums Newcomer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:45 pm

sherryy wrote:It's been 7 days and I'm still sober....Today was a tough day. I wanted a drink so bad. But I got through it. One day at a time....

That's wonderful, Sherry. Congratulations on 7 days of sobriety!

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book