Tech support question/suggestion

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

Re: Tech support question/suggestion

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Question for tech support:

I have repeatedly been logged out by e-aa's system and prompted for user name and password recently, about every two days in some cases, yet I always check the box for the automatic log in option each time I've logged in manually. Is this normal or is there some kind of glitch in the system?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi,

That's happened to me, during a certain period of time, and I've read of that e period cramps happening to others. A tech person talked about it in another forum but I can't remember if there was a reason given. in my case the problem just stopped.

You could google "logged out by phpBB" and see if you get any answers -- usually there's help found in the phpBB forums.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:49 pm

ann2 wrote:Hi,

That's happened to me, during a certain period of time, and I've read of that e period cramps happening to others. A tech person talked about it in another forum but I can't remember if there was a reason given. in my case the problem just stopped.

You could google "logged out by phpBB" and see if you get any answers -- usually there's help found in the phpBB forums.

Ann

Thanks. I checked the phpBB forums. The speculation on discussions of this kind of glitch is that it's either caused by the website's data security system, i.e. the automatic log in time is set too low, too many cookies (lol...always love that one), or variations in my service provider's IP locations. The last one is a plausible scenario except for the fact that if that's whats causing the glitch, it should be happening elsewhere with my other web accounts and it isn't??? It's no big deal. I'm just naturally curious about what causes stuff like this to happen....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:55 am

For the last month or so, I have been unable to delete posts. I get a message that says: "Sorry but you can only delete your own posts". Paige has checked my moderator permissions a couple of times, and it's worked for a few days after each time but soon returns.

Is there anything that can be done to correct this?

Thanks.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:51 am

I'm answering my own post here in case anyone else has the issue with deleting posts.

My internet browser (Google chrome), has a setting called "data saver". I have not had the problem with deleting posts since I turned it off.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Posted this last June:

ezdzit247 wrote:Question for tech support:

I have repeatedly been logged out by e-aa's system and prompted for user name and password recently, about every two days in some cases, yet I always check the box for the automatic log in option each time I've logged in manually. Is this normal or is there some kind of glitch in the system?

Just got this message when I tried to post a reply:

You need to login in order to reply to topics within this forum.

This is the fifth time this message has popped up and directed me to log in again in the last 10 days. I always ALWAYS check the box for "Log me on automatically each visit" when I log in but I'm still getting prompted to log in again after 48 hours.

I switched over to using my new Mac Book Pro exclusively for this website a little over 10 days ago but that seems to have made the problem of staying logged in escalate rather than disappear. Any suggestions from tech support?
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:12 pm

I got bawled out on another thread when I responded about this problem, since I never get logged out and many others don't seem to complain about it either, I suggested there was an element of luck. Wrong word perhaps, but it suggests that it may not be the fault of this board when it happens to some and not others.

The board is powered by phpBB, and a Google search of 'I am getting logged out of phpBB' will show you suggestions to use at your end, ranging from using a different web browser like Firefox, to the possibility that the IP is fluctuating and triggers the board security block, if so you reduce your security settings. I am fairly computer illiterate, but find that searching the web for solutions to problems has saved me money at the repair shop, and perhaps placing the blame where it does not belong, as may apply in this instance.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Noels » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:05 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: ive had the same problem the last 2 or 3 weeks :lol: i just didn't seem it worthy enough to mention :lol: i took it as " oh well, so I'm not supposed to post right now. Ill come back again later. so jeah, there is definitely a problem with the login at the mo.
noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Karl R » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:43 am

Hi,

I'm not a tech wizard but I do know by research into phpbb that the "log me in automatically with each visit" works by placing a cookie onto your system. That cookie does expire after a time. The time in which it expires is determined by each person's operating system, security settings, and how one has one's system set to handle cookies. Each person's mileage may vary. Another thing which affects this are updates to operating systems and updates to security software on your individual computers.

kindest regards,
Karl-forums coordinator
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Karl R wrote:I'm not a tech wizard but I do know by research into phpbb that the "log me in automatically with each visit" works by placing a cookie onto your system. That cookie does expire after a time. The time in which it expires is determined by each person's operating system, security settings, and how one has one's system set to handle cookies. Each person's mileage may vary. Another thing which affects this are updates to operating systems and updates to security software on your individual computers.

kindest regards,
Karl-forums coordinator

What Karl said. The "Keep me logged in" will create a cookie to expire after 1 year. But cookies themselves are controlled by your browser software, and possibly the antivirus etc. running on your computer, not by any website. So if your browser is set to delete all cookies upon exit, or your antivirus is periodically cleaning up cookies en-masse, that 1-year cookie is lost and you'll be asked to log in again. Also, if your computer's date is wrong (e.g. 2017 instead of 2016), that will cause havoc no matter what browser you're using.

In rare cases, the board could experience weird "issues" and a technical clean-up will fix that (including weird timeouts that everyone experiences). But if the only problem experienced is with cookies for a handful of users, that's down to the users' computer.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Blue Moon wrote:
Karl R wrote:I'm not a tech wizard but I do know by research into phpbb that the "log me in automatically with each visit" works by placing a cookie onto your system. That cookie does expire after a time. The time in which it expires is determined by each person's operating system, security settings, and how one has one's system set to handle cookies. Each person's mileage may vary. Another thing which affects this are updates to operating systems and updates to security software on your individual computers.

kindest regards,
Karl-forums coordinator

What Karl said. The "Keep me logged in" will create a cookie to expire after 1 year. But cookies themselves are controlled by your browser software, and possibly the antivirus etc. running on your computer, not by any website. So if your browser is set to delete all cookies upon exit, or your antivirus is periodically cleaning up cookies en-masse, that 1-year cookie is lost and you'll be asked to log in again. Also, if your computer's date is wrong (e.g. 2017 instead of 2016), that will cause havoc no matter what browser you're using.

In rare cases, the board could experience weird "issues" and a technical clean-up will fix that (including weird timeouts that everyone experiences). But if the only problem experienced is with cookies for a handful of users, that's down to the users' computer.

Thanks to both Karl & Blue Moon for your feedback.

It could be something to do with the settings on my computer but my preferences are set to manual only deletion of cookies so there's no auto deletion issue on my end or a problem with incorrect date and I've always had Macs so I've never used antivirus programs. I've noticed phpBB is software is used on several other forum websites but this is the only website where I've experienced this particular problem with staying logged in. First started happening last June, then no problem for several months, now it's back. Weird.
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Have not been prompted to login again since I reported re-experiencing the recurring "automatic" log out problem on Nov 5.

Glitch free for 11 days! Thanks to whoever fixed the problem!
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby jbscoot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:54 am

I am not sure how to post portions of Quotes as I am new here!!
jbscoot
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:57 am

If you click the “Quote” tab on the top right of someones post, the entire post comes up with the word 'quote' in brackets at the start and at the end, to quote just parts of the post you remove the words you don't want, either by backspacing or highlight and deleting. Keep in mind you can see what it looks like under 'preview' before you submit, and you can experiment, once you don't hit 'submit' you can fiddle around and practice.

Many of us find it easier to write posts in a word document, then copy and paste in the postreply box. If doing this you can take the section you want as a quote, click 'quote' in the reply box, (fourth from left at the top), two brackets will come up and you copy and paste the quote between these.

The first way is easiest if you are not used to copy and pasting, the persons name you are quoting will come up as well, in the copy and paste method the persons name does not come up. Keep in mind that if you have something negative to say about a persons post, the moderators suggest that the name not be used.

Please ask any further questions and all the best.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23103
Technical brilliance required pse
Unread postby Noels » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi sorry didn't know who to contact. Please can our techies check if everything's working as it should as i've been battling to log in for the last few days. I proudly grade myself AA+ on patience. :D
Much appreciated,
mwah xxxx Noels
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions