Hi, Mike, Alcoholic New comer

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Hi, Mike, Alcoholic New comer

Postby Mcdrummer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:03 am

I just wanted to introduce myself and get involved. I am an alcoholic, I have struggled with relapse,
I have been going to meetings, I seem to see a pattern. I drink, I get in trouble, I go to AA or counseling, I stop drinking, sometimes for years, I eventually stop going to meetings, I drink again. Repeat.
I don't want that to happen again, and because I travel a lot, I thought that having a place like this which I could access at any time from anywhere might be helpful. I am open to any advice.
thanks
Mcdrummer
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hi, Mike, Alcoholic New comer

Postby ann2 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:08 am

Welcome Mike! Glad you found us :) Yes, online AA can be a great support. I've taken it with me on many moves. I love how it keeps me involved, challenges me, and enfolds me in the fellowship. I'm one lucky alcoholic for sure.

I might recommend reviewing the list of pamphlets available at aa.org -- the literature has given me a lot of guidance.

Great to hear from you! Hope to see you posting more.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:18 am

Hi Mike,

Long ago, before inter net but there was e-mail, and when I travelled, I used to get in my hotel room, hook the phone to my modem and download the meeting called "Lamp Lighters". It was such a god send.
Hope this forum helps you.

Keep in mind, staying sober requires continual spiritual work, not just going to meetings.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Timotheus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:23 am

Hey Mike and welcome!

This is a great resource and has really helped me in my early sobriety to always have a place to go browse through topics and ask questions. The AA speaker tapes on YouTube are also great to access anywhere/anytime when travelling, cleaning the house, etc.
"You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf." -Jon Kabat-Zinn
Timotheus
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 am

Have you been exposed to the 12 steps of AA? Has anyone helped you work the 12 steps?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby trumpets » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:38 pm

Mcdrummer wrote:I drink, I get in trouble, I go to AA or counseling, I stop drinking

If you want something you never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done. ~Thomas Jefferson

you have a leg up if you can get that willingness without absolutely destroying your life. Lord knows i couldn't.
maybe AA isn't for you.
trumpets
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:20 pm

trumpets wrote:maybe AA isn't for you.

That's an odd comment for an AA forum. You're new here, huh, trumpets?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book