3 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes sober...

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

3 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes sober...

Postby Timotheus » Sat May 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi, I'm Timothy and I am an alcoholic.

Yeah, I definitely know how long it has been right down to the minute. It's been a long Saturday, the house is reeeeeally clean and my surrender chip has gotten a good bit of wear but I'm STILL sober.

I don't think I've gone 3 days without alcohol in 4 or 5 years and as difficult as it has been to make this transition and take back my life, I feel good and have hope again.

Happy to have found this resource and I look forward to visiting in between meetings. Nice to meet you all. :)

//timothy
"You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf." -Jon Kabat-Zinn
Timotheus
Forums Enthusiast

Re: 3 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes sober...

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Timotheus and welcome.

Congratulations on 3 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes plus of sobriety!

Nice to meet you too! Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the AA fellowship and program. Looking forward to reading more of your posts and getting to know you.

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat May 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi Timothy, welcome!
AA saved my life. Working the program works!
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sat May 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Welcome here Timothy. Yes at first it is a matter of counting days and hours if necessary, please keep in mind that this is a temporary phase we go through. Once the steps even after #5 is done we tend to feel a great relief, and they look harder to do when viewed on paper as opposed to actually doing them.

We often get posts like this because it's a difficult time in sobriety, many people find eating and drinking sweet things eases the urges, some also report difficulty sleeping, but this passes. Myself and others I have heard speak and seen write here, also found listing to AA speaker 'tapes' helps, I find them easiest to use from You Tube, you can just type in AA followed by a speaker name, some popular ones with folks here are Chris R, & Clancy I, and others whose names slip me right now.

Best of luck to you, and keep in mind that this program eliminates the urge to drink entirely, and offers a finer life than we ever imagined.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Feeya » Sat May 28, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi Timothy, Feeya, alcoholic here!
I agree with Brock, listening to those tapes really helps me as well.
Someone I like to hear speak is Scott R. or even Craig F., just type those and AA into u tube and you should find them! They are witty and make everything seem less hard!
Good 24 hours!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby Timotheus » Sun May 29, 2016 9:22 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I've started listening to speaker tapes on YouTube and they are great, thanks for the suggestion!

//timothy
Timotheus
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Sun May 29, 2016 10:06 am

Welcome Timotheus! When I first sobered up I too used online AA as an in between meetings thing. Now I visit every day as a part of my 11th Step (Sought through prayer & meditation to improve my conscious contact with God as I understand him).

And as for counting days, there is a guy f2f (face to face) in my area who is a day counter and he has 10 years I think, LOL. Maybe he is a math savant or something. He always announces the day count when someone gets an annual milestones chip. He is hilarious on so many levels, but I love that he is a day counter. It really brings home the miracle of staying sober, because I was like you... I had to look back a long long time to find a time when I was not hungover or drunk. 3 days was a miracle. 3 days, 5 hours and 20mins is REALLY a miracle! I know if you told me I had to wait 5 hours and 20 minutes for a drink I would fly into a panic/rage and consider all manner of odd and sometimes dangerous options to get a drink! I don't live in that kind of slavery anymore.

It helped a great deal to understand deep within that I had a disease. Then, the minute I decided to go through with the process AA presented of the 12 Steps, sponsor & meetings, I started to feel relief. It's "A new freedom" the Promises on page 83 of the Big Book. We have a solution here on which we can absolutely agree. I hope you will find what I have found. Freedom from slavery to alcohol and more. :D

Here's a link to the Big Book http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/read-the- ... traditions

Keep coming back! It works IF you work it!
PS ~ I know a few people who have an app on their phone which does the sober counting for them!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Timotheus » Sun May 29, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks PaigeB! Went and downloaded a day counter app and put it front and center on my home screen.

The talk of slavery managing all kinds of crazy ways to get alcohol really hits home. Freedom from that insanity is something I'm clinging pretty hard to right now.

//timothy
Timotheus
Forums Enthusiast

Postby shaunagus » Mon May 30, 2016 3:22 am

Hi Timothy

It's great you've found this forum alongside your AA meetings. Like you, time passed slowly for me in the early days until I'd worked the steps and I would spend hours on here passing the time but also learning about programme and recovery etc. I used to use the search function to read threads specific to particular issues I was having eg I'd search "boredom" or "craving" or "social events" or "sex" or "insomnia" or "tradition three" or "sharing at meetings" etc etc and read hundreds of threads on here about those topics from many wise people. It was an invaluable tool.

Keep coming back

Shaun
“You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop." Rumi.
shaunagus
Forums Contributor

Postby Timotheus » Tue May 31, 2016 12:23 pm

Wow, I was not expected the sweets urge! I don't have a sweet tooth at all but got a major alcohol craving at lunch today (a former heavy drinking point of my day) and ending up pounding a Herheys with almonds AND a Whatchamacallit in like 2 minutes!

Didn't drink though. I'm looking forward to be able to stay sober without the major sugar rush though lol
Timotheus
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:31 pm

:lol: munch away my friend :lol: I am still on 4 and a half sugars in my coffee and tea and eat a man size lunchbar almost every day AND I LOST about 16/17 pounds in less than 3 months. (8kg) .
Have an awesome weekend :D
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Feeya » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 am

Timotheus wrote:Wow, I was not expected the sweets urge! I don't have a sweet tooth at all but got a major alcohol craving at lunch today (a former heavy drinking point of my day) and ending up pounding a Herheys with almonds AND a Whatchamacallit in like 2 minutes!

Didn't drink though. I'm looking forward to be able to stay sober without the major sugar rush though lol

Good on you for not drinking! :)
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby whipping post » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:54 am

Hang in there and don't worry about the sweets right now. Do whatever it takes at the start.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Welcome, Timothy! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. Keep trudging the road to happy destiny!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Return to Guest Book