Newcomer

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

Newcomer

Postby Deskdad » Tue May 24, 2016 9:57 am

Hi everyone. I''m an alcoholic. I came to this realization 3 years ago (I'm 43) and have been battling it since. I have come close to losing everything - job, kids, money, relationships. Got into some legal trouble. Hoping to receive and offer some advice and support. Day one starts again today. Longest I've went was too weeks.
--------------------------------------------
"When I came to recovery, I realized that being a child for 43 years nearly killed me."
Deskdad
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Tue May 24, 2016 10:08 am

Welcome Deskdad! When I came back to AA in my 40's I was finally ready. I knew though, that I would have to go to AA if I wanted any kind of long term sobriety. This was NOT about self esteem, not playmates & playgrounds or even willpower. I have a deadly disease and that dis-ease needs a solution. The solution is in the rooms and people of Alcoholics Anonymous.

You can find them in your area by following the links of this site:
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

Making the call saved my life. I got to a meeting. If I wanted what they had, I had to DO what they did.

Get busy living or get busy dying. I have found a new freedom and a new peace. I hope you do too.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Deskdad » Tue May 24, 2016 10:15 am

Thanks so much. I haven't lost it all yet and thankfully there is room to fix somethings when I get to that step. Work the steps or die. I'm an analytical person and can't wrap my head around it - after losing so much, why in the h*ll do we do it?
--------------------------------------------
"When I came to recovery, I realized that being a child for 43 years nearly killed me."
Deskdad
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 am

why in the h*ll do we do it?

Thats powerlessness and un-manageability of step one. Welcome to the board. Feel free to ask more question. The book Alcoholics Anonymous (Big book) is something you want to get acquainted with. Lot of good information. You may read the chapter More about alcoholism, there is a solution Bill story and the Doctors Opinion to have a good knowledge of what we are up against.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Tue May 24, 2016 10:43 am

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/read-the- ... traditions

You can read the Big Book & the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions at the above link. You can buy them at your local AA meeting or Club. Or if that is not possible, you can order them using the aa.org site

Personally, I did them with a sponsor. I tried reading them myself alone and I still did not understand. My perceptions of the world were pretty warped and I needed her insight so that I could see. We worked the Steps, in order, using the Big Book... and we used the 12 & 12 as an additional guide.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue May 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi Deskdad. Welcome.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Return to Guest Book