A newcomer here, so, introduction.

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.

A newcomer here, so, introduction.

Postby Squirrel » Mon May 23, 2016 12:50 am

Hello, my name is Jane. I have joined these forums because I am not able to attend AA meetings in my city for various reasons.
This is, unfortunately, the only way for me to vocalize my problem. I am determined to make do with the means that I have.
I have been able to conceal my problem for a long time, but I am very, very tired. It's best I mention that I don't know much about the AA program, but I promise to do my research.
I hope to gain some advice and support here, and I offer the same. I am very excited to be here.
Squirrel
Forums Newcomer

Re: A newcomer here, so, introduction.

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon May 23, 2016 3:01 am

Welcome Jane.

You can read our book for free online here:
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon May 23, 2016 5:30 am

Welcome to e-AA Jane. As I mentioned in another thread that book can be pretty confusing, the chapters 'The Doctors Opinion' and 'More About Alcoholism' are however pretty easy reading. If you just Google aa.org and under literature you will see many leaflets, these explain the program quite well. There are sites all over the net about AA some good and a few who just go in for 'AA bashing,' but I guess that applies to most things, some folks just like to speak crap about others.

No doubt you have good reasons for not attending live meetings, providing being scared to do so, or feeling that your job will suffer if people recognize you, or just a lack of transport are not the reason, then I guess you will have better reasons. Many come here with those reasons and are still encouraged to attend, they usually come back and say their fears were unfounded. But of course it is possible to do this program without meetings, you can investigate online meetings, but really these things were designed for those who live or work in areas without access to meetings, or for those who are bedridden.

Please ask any other questions you may have, as you will discover helping each other is part of the AA program, a part we enjoy because it helps us as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Mon May 23, 2016 9:04 am

You can find a meeting near you using this site
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
but also you can find online meetings that occur by phone, skype, email & live chat
http://aa-intergroup.org/

I am glad you found us on the huge www! We are a pretty active forum and I hope you find here what I have found ~ a great group of alcoholics in recovery helping each other and the newcomer. Just let us know what you need and we will try to help!

I hope you get to a meeting soon. No better way than jumping right in! It truly is anonymous and anyone you see at a "closed" meeting is there because they too have a desire to stop drinking. But there are so many meetings that you could likely travel out-of-town a short distance and find a meeting there too.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 am

Welcome to e-AA Jane!

You aren't alone and we in AA have found the 12 step program to be a solution for our drinking problem.
Glad you found us. :)
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Squirrel » Mon May 23, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you all so much for filling me in on such short notice. I have started reading the online book and if at any point I find the book too confusing, I might ask questions, but for now I'm managing.
Brock, I understand the program works best when one attends the meetings, but my not being able to go is truly not a whim in my current situation. Should the situation change and I not be physically restricted from attending, I'll most definitely go. Perhaps PaigeB is onto something with her suggestion I travel out of town a short distance, seeing as I already commute to work anyway.
Thanks again, everyone.
Squirrel
Forums Newcomer

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon May 23, 2016 2:04 pm

For awhile, I lived in a very small town. I didn't want them gossiping about me. I was long time sober when I moved there. So I went to meetings once a week a near by city.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Return to Guest Book