AA history forum

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

AA history forum

Postby Chelle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:44 am

Delete
Last edited by Chelle on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Re: AA history forum

Postby leejosepho » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:49 am

Zimmy wrote:Maybe a place to direct topics when peeps want to debate their interpretation of the facts and history of Alcoholics Anonymous. I for one, get lost in a sea of "discussions" that seem to veer off topic. As a newcomer, I am just trying to learn the best way to practice these principles in all of my affairs, rather that get lost in the history. While I do understand the importance of it, I'm just not ready to wrap my head around all of the details of when where the big book was written etc. I was looking at different opinions on 4th step inventory and now I don't even want to go back to that thread :( just a suggestion

Very understandable and that thread is not intended for anyone's use in actually taking any Step. So, just keep reading the book as you know it and keep trying to do what is in it and all should be well!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:53 am

Hi Zimmy,

Thank you for the feedback - I'm going to cross post this into the moderators area. I think it's a great idea.

I agree. It's difficult to find answers as a newcomer, without finding ten different answers, and then wondering which one is right. I would advise if in doubt to refer to the big book and try to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks again x
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby whipping post » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:23 am

Amen.

Or perhaps a section for people who want to make a simple program complicated. I am on a non recovery related forum that has a section called the deep end for in depth, technical discussions.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Robert R » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:32 am

Thank you Zimmy, I second that motion wholeheartedly.
Page 58 refers to a simple programme so let us keep it simple please.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:51 am

Hi Zimmy. Yeah... just step away from any discussions you find unappealing and don't let it taint everything else. The 4th Step is difficult to understand as most of us have never come close to doing anything like it. I got some extra info from asking about my sponsor's experience and from the chapters on the 4th & 5th Steps in the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/read-the- ... traditions.

I also went to Big Book Study meetings and chose readings on the 4th Step when I was asked to pick a reading for the meeting.

All of that and still I felt doubtful. Remember we aim for progress, not perfection. Once I put pen to paper and it became more clear as a went along.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Chelle » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:35 pm

I do not usually know that a topic is unappealing until I start reading and then BOOM, somewhere down the thread it turns south. I am continually told to look elsewhere and take what I need, leave the rest. It is becoming increasingly difficult and I feel this is not healthy for me to be part of this. Thank you to all who responded.
Peace
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby leejosepho » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:27 am

Zimmy wrote:I do not usually know that a topic is unappealing until I start reading and then BOOM, somewhere down the thread it turns south. I am continually told to look elsewhere and take what I need, leave the rest. It is becoming increasingly difficult and I feel this is not healthy for me to be part of this. Thank you to all who responded.
Peace

Although the frequency of that is actually decreasing in an overall sense, that recent occurrence was definitely unfortunate. As best we can, we try to only post to the OP and not interject cross-post discussion whenever the OP or most-recent poster is a newcomer, but this might be the first No.3 has heard about that. Please do keep letting us know whenever something seems troubling.

For whatever this might be worth to you: Others of us occasionally encounter challenging posts also, and taking the Steps for ourselves so we can better understand ourselves as well as others while dealing with them has been a great part of learning to match even full-blown calamity with serenity. (page 68)
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Suggestions