About our closed forums and how to join

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

About our closed forums and how to join

Postby Squawking Hawk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 am

Some of you may already know about our closed forums -- womens, mens, and desire to stop drinking. These are the only forums that you have to make a request to join and they are not indexed in search engines. There is a post in the "start here" sub-forum" in the general forums telling you about the closed forums and how you can join. As this is a the newcomers sub-forum I thought that it might be helpful and user friendly to post this sticky topic to be sure that all who are new to these boards know about the closed forums and how you may join.

http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14077

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Re: About our closed forums and how to join

Postby whipping post » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:16 am

Thank you for posting this. Do these show up in the "active topic" feed once you join?
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Squawking Hawk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:37 am

As far as I know, once you join you should see the forums you have joined on your main page. As some of you know, I was a moderator when I first posted this, and I am no longer a moderator. Whipping post, if you have any questions, you should contact either the forum coordinator, PaigeB for more assistance. Look at the bottom right had portion of your screen and click on the link that says "team." Or ask again on this forum and I am sure that someone will answer your questions.

Hawk

whipping post wrote:Thank you for posting this. Do these show up in the "active topic" feed once you join?
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:00 am

Brock here, not the most computer savvy person around but I know this. It does not show up in active topics, you need to scroll down from the main board index. But just yesterday I discovered something very useful, since this forum is on Firefox it is easy to put shortcuts on your desktop to any section of the forums you choose. At the top of each page where the web address is written you see the arrow on the left, between the arrow and the address is a little round identity logo, by reducing the page size so your desktop is visible you can click and drag this logo to the desktop. Then right click it if you want and rename it, I had completely forgotten about the men’s forum until Hawk spoke about the closed forums today, so just dragged the logo across myself and named it men only, it’s best to rename them since they come with too much writing. So on the desktop you can have active topics, men only and so forth, and I have a feeling everyone knew about this shortcut business except me, anyway if even one person didn’t know it was worth talking about it.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Layne » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am

whipping post wrote:Thank you for posting this. Do these show up in the "active topic" feed once you join?

If you log in, then they will show up in "active topics". If you just surf in for a quick look but don't log in, they won't show up.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:30 am

I use View New Posts mostly or sometimes Unread Posts... That lets me know all that has happened since I was last here or look at stuff I have not even read yet!

Hope you got it figured out. play around with it and find your favorite type of postings search. Let us know if we can be of assistance!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby catcar » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:54 am

Paige B, my view switched to this crazy mobile view and there are no options to change it back that I can find. I hate this mobile version because I have no option for new posts or unread topics. Do you know any way I can go back to the desktop view?
catcar
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Niagara » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:40 am

Go to user control panel, board preferences, edit global settings, and switch 'my board style' to prosilver.....does that fix it?
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:26 am

I hope that works - otherwise, Ann is the smart phone user. Or Duke or Karl...
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Godhelpme » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:15 pm

I was once part of the AA Loners group and used to received daily notices of experience strength and hope to my email I am unable to attend meetings as my medical condition so I'm hoping I've joined the right site for this as need to do meetings on line and keep sharing the message
Thanks and kind regards
Godhelpme
Forums Newcomer

Postby Niagara » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 pm

Good to have you here, Godhelpme

E-AA does have a chatroom with scheduled online meetings also :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer