Chaos is in the house

For recovery discussion
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Chaos is in the house

Post by Tosh »

StayingInTouch wrote: What are some good informative sites or sections about how to deal with cravings?
Ah, man I spent a long time discussing this kind of stuff with my alcohol counsellor and still drank for another two years. Triggers!!! Being conscious is a trigger; I drank often to oblivion to try and avoid that one.

Once you have had several days off the booze, you will have detoxified, and there will be no physical reason why you should crave alcohol. This confused me, because even 3 months from my last drink I still craved alcohol, but this was really the mental obsession that was so strong, it felt physical.

Now, this may seem strange, but the root of the problem is not the booze, the real problem is the way we feel when we're sober. The Big Book describes it well as being 'restless, irritable, and discontented'. This is the problem - our feelings when we're stone cold sober. Feelings can be immensely powerful; feelings create intentions which manifest into actions. For example when we're hungry, we create an intention to eat and we end up eating. And when we're an alcoholic trying to stay sober, feeling negative can drive us to drink; it's not easy in the early days; we know.

So, we have a spiritual program of recovery which is designed to treat the problem at it's root; it treats what it describes (weirdly I know) as the 'spiritual malady' which manifests itself in that feeling of being restless, irritable, and discontented'. Treat that feeling with the 12 Step program, get some measure of peace and contentment - and we need never drink again. Why should we? We drank to get a sense of ease and comfort, so if we can get that without the booze, and all the negative consequences that came with it, why the heck would we pick up a drink?
StayingInTouch wrote: I'm not interested in the HP aspect, it isn't for me.
Many in A.A. just use G.O.D (Group of Drunks) - the A.A. Group - as their higher power. Why not start with that one? There's various topics on this forum discussing this, and we don't all tow the party line either. Atheists, such as myself, can and do the 12 Steps and receive the transformational effect in our lives. Through going through the process under the guidance of a sponsor (mine's a committed Christian BTW, but he has NEVER evangelised to me) I have cleared the wreckage of my past and live a whole new way of life. I don't mean this to sound like some 'high-brow' thing; it's not, but to fully understand you have to experience it for yourself. Please keep an open mind.
StayingInTouch wrote: I agree with group support, but to much pressure to conform. Suggestions?
There is no pressure to conform other than what you put yourself under. Unless someone is holding a gun to your head, the only pressure you feel is what you create yourself. Oh, and A.A. has a great history of people who 'do not conform'; have a google for Jim Burwell and have a read about him. A.A. may not have survived it's early years if it wasn't for that particular non conformist. We are a spiritual organisation, not religious, A.A. welcomes all who have a desire to stop drinking.

I hope some of that helps. And please keep on asking questions.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

derek
Forums Enthusiast

Post by derek »

My heart goes out to all members in their very early days ,it takes me back & after reading I feel raw yes raw describes the feelings. The advice of getting vitamin B complex is very good advice also drinking a lot of liquid with sugar in as there is a sugar withdrawl as well, I had no money at the time so I stole, walked to meetings as the exercise would help me sleep, also no money no bus solving 2 problems in one go.Ignorance helped me in one way as I knew nothing of rehabs or drugs to help with the withdrawls, detoxs so it was hard & I would not wish it on anyone, but condense it, don,t pick up the first drink and no matter what get to a meeting is of the greatest help, I didn,t know it at the time, but it was. Thank you all for sharing.
take care derek

MyNameisVictor
Forums Contributor

Post by MyNameisVictor »

Hi Chaos,

Great to hear you're doing well so far. I think that doctor was saying (in a not so polite or subtle way, unfortunately) is that while your withdrawel is uncomfortable, hospitalization isn't really necessary at this point. The script I could give you is a daily dosage of meetings and talking to other AA's about what you're going through. You're not alone. Also, just think, if you stick to the program, you can comfort another newcomer by telling him/her the exact same thing and how you got through it.

Firemarshall, no problem. I said what I said because it took a good 10-12 weeks before my hands fully stopped shaking, and I regained my sense of balance. I kept bumping in to things. For the first few weeks I could barely fit my apartment key in to the keyhole. It gets better. Think about it this way, if you spent years banging your head against a wall, it's still going to hurt after you suddenly stop.

God bless.
"They said a miracle would happen on my 90th day of sobriety, and it did happen...I was sober."
-Anonymous from the Trinity Group of AA in NYC

Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Post by Hanna »

Day 5! Anxiexty begining to subside, not constant anymore. It just creeps up on me but I fight it with prayer instead of alcohol. Thank you all who encouraged me.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Hanna wrote:Day 5! Anxiexty begining to subside, not constant anymore. It just creeps up on me but I fight it with prayer instead of alcohol. Thank you all who encouraged me.
Well done, Hanna, and yes, anxiety is a real bummer isn't it. Praying is spot on, but when things got tough, I'd also go to XA Speakers and listen to a speaker tape. It took my mind off my anxiety and I gained some faith and hope from it; faith that A.A. works and hope that my future wasn't in the gutter. Our mind can only be on one thing at a time, so by listening closely to a speaker tape, it did help give me some relief from it.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Post by Hanna »

Thanks Tosh. I've been watching a lot of Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen & TD Jakes, they all seem to be speaking on a topic I just needed to hear; faith, spirit, purpose, gratitude... I forgot all about those things and just lived with fear and anxiety.
Can't get around much since I lost my license :( so I thank God He guided me to this site and sent Joyce, Joel and TD to kep me motivated to continue on the right path. I will look on the computer to find where I can get the speaker tapes. Thank you.

Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Post by Hanna »

June 17, 2012. My first post, my 1st day of sobriety, yet when I posted I didn't know that...
Hanna wrote:Hi Chaos, your story sounds alot like mine. Lost my job and my license, dui, yet I continue to drink to stop the anxiety and embarassment. The drinking is only making it worse. So far today no drink. I'm going to try it one day at a time. I would love to say I had 34 glorious days. I haven't felt glorious in a long time.
DAY 56. Wow, I am so grateful for all the people who post their ESH, Thank you all.
I gain stength and hope each time I come here. Collectively you represent the promises of the steps by sharing your sobriety with me.
Since that 1st post I have found my smile, remembered how to laugh, regained the trust of my family and found a new and rewarding job. I could not have conceived of any of that 57 days ago. I have learned that "one day at a time" can be applied to any situation. When I got here I was completly overwhelmed by the consequences of my drinking and thoughts of what the future would be. Today I handle only what's in front of me right now and it is working. Things are getting done, as long as my "daily activties are in concert with my highest prioities". I now know and accept that my 1st priority is to not take that 1st drink. If I do I will lose everything else.
Hanna

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Hanna,

That is so wonderful to hear. Well done.
:D

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

I'm so glad for you, Hanna! I'm really happy to see you progress. :D :D :D
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.